What's new

A tricky question regarding bass management and SACD... (1 Viewer)

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

I have wanted to get into SACD for a long time now. At first it was the lack of titles that held me back. Then, after a few hundred were released, it was lack of bass management for the SACD playback, now it is bass management for redbook CD playback.

Without going to an outboard bass management system like the Outlaw ICBM are there any options for redbook CD bass management built into a SACD player?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks!

Dave

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Dave: I can't remember seeing any reviews of any SACD players that performed any bass management on regular CD playback. (For that matter, there aren't many SACD players that do a decent job of bass management, period. IMO!)

I don't know of any reason that these players couldn't perform analog bass management, red book specs or otherwise. I think, at least to some extent, that regular CD playback is overlooked because most receivers or processors can do the job. The fact that the analog signal may have to go through an A-to-D and D-to-A conversion to be "bass managed" is not something the makers worry about.

I own and use an ICBM for my HT. I'm not currently interested in DVD-A or SACD. Nevertheless, I have found the ICBM to be a great little piece of gear. IMO, if you are seriously interested in SACD, you might try an ICBM. You can always return it if you don't like it. But I'd be surprised if you didn't!

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
sorry for the repeat,

I have bass management woes on my Marantz 8300.

I don't have access to an ICBM unit, but have 2 unused receivers.

Can I use 1 as an alternative outboard BM unit?

Do I just run the subwoofer cable into the external amp (where I adjust the sub level somehow), and route back into subwoofer input on my main amp?

please advise.

thanks!

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The Denon units perform BM on every format it plays including CD. 2200/2900/5900
Can I use 1 as an alternative outboard BM unit?
No you can't!

BM is not a volume or trim controll,but a bass redirection "engine".Most receivers don't do any of those tasks through the analog connection,only a "pass through".

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I know it's not a universal, I was just asking how its BM is with regards to DVD-A...i.e. is it acceptable enough that I don't need an ICBM ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks