A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonK, Feb 22, 2002.

1. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

I know it's an old CD, but I finally got around to picking this up at a used CD shop. (A fellow HTF'er has given it tremendously high praise, so I figured I should check it out.)

I wish I hadn't waited so long. I worry a bit that Tribe can be looked over nowadays in favor of acts like Bubba Sparxx and the No Limit ilk.

Tribe was all about positivity, and this CD has nothing but infectious grooves. From the opening track, to the fantastic closer 'Scenario' there is never a dull moment.

I'm amazed at the fact that the CD is a decade old. Aside from some early 90's shout-outs, the production and style of the music is timeless.

And while Tribe has since broken up, it's reassuring to know Mos Def, Talib Kweli, and The Roots (for starters) are out there making some fantastic albums, with obvious Tribe influences.

Jason

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Since I earlier recommended it as one of the best albums of the 90s, I'm not going to argue with you [​IMG]. I will, however, also recommend the Jungle Brothers album "Done by the Forces of Nature". It's almost as good and from the same time-period (a year or two before "Low-End"). They frequently guested on each others albums.
    Tribe Called Quest also had a knack for doing interesting remixes of their singles. They often were as good or better than the original tracks, sometimes with additional lyrics. A lot of the best ones are collected on a CD called "Revised Quest for the Seasoned Traveler". It's currently only available as an import, but not too hard to find.
    Regards,

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

The early 90s was my favorite time for hip-hop, and Low End Theory is definitely one of my favs. It's the only Quest album I have though. I'll have to look into some other ones.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I love this album to death. Other Tribe is good, but this is the best.

5. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

Ken,

I did not know of 'Revised Quest for the Seasoned Traveler' disc. I'll have to check it out. And I'll add the Jungle Bros. to my want list.

Mike, the only other Tribe albums I have are Midnight Marauders and Anthology. Marauders is fantastic. I've had

'The Love Movement' and 'Beats Rhymes and Life' but couldn't get into them.

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Midnight Marauders is really good also, not quite as good as Low End but very good. The debut album's not very good IMO but very interesting.

7. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

The Low End Theory gets alot of play in my stereo(it is in my truck player at the moment actually). It is interesting to see the different opinions of their albums. I loved their debut, but Midnight Mauraders and the remix album I never really got into. I thought that they were decent but not near as good as Low End was. As far as The Love Movement is concerned I wouldn't recomend it unless you hear it first. I thought the best thing about it was the free T-shirt that came with it when I bought it.

Tribe, The Jungle Brothers and De La Soul often made guest appearances on each others albums. They like to known collectively as The Native Tongues.

Regards

KrisM

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I think the reason some people don't like the first album is that it is not as well balanced between Phife & Q-Tip as the second album and they had not perfected their jazzy hooks to the degree that they would. I like the debut, personally, as well as Marauders. They seemed to lose focus after that, though, or at least head in directions in which I was less interested.

Regards,

9. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

There's very little rap that I listen to anymore but Tribe is one of them. Low End is very, very good. I also recommend Peoples Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm.

De La Soul is similar and I highly recommend 3 Feet High and Rising.

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The thing I don't like about "Travels" is that the rapping, (particularly Phife, but Q-tip also) is very basic as far as the meter and rhythm. There's very little variety, whole songs, the whole album, all sound like it's the same rapping rhythm over and over again. Very interesting though and worth picking up just for "Bonita Applebum" and "Left My Wallet In El Segundo".

11. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Stunt Coordinator

I Left my Wallet is amazing. i think i still might have Travels on tape..but not cd. picked up the greatest hits at a used store 6 months ago and it hasnt left my cd case since