What's new

International A Tree Grows In Brooklyn (1945) on R2 blu ray 7/22/19 (1 Viewer)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I dislike MoC. They make all their releases Region 2. :( I need this title for my collection but it will probably never see light in NA.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not released separately, but as part of the Kazan at Fox BD Zone A set. I own it. I suppose it is OOP?
I think those two (2012) Blu-ray sets Volumes 1 & 2 that are now OOP were a missed opportunity for some people. Perhaps that giant (2010) DVD boxset with 15 or so Kazan titles from Warner and Fox had something to do with it as it was an expensive purchase.

Volume 1
Boomerang
Gentlemen's Agreement
Panic in the Streets
Pinky

Volume 2
Man on a Tightrope
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Viva Zapata
Wild River

Reactions: PMF

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm assuming it's the same transfer that was used in the box set as MOC doesn't say "new" 2K restoration. Did the box set have the same special features (other than the collector's booklet)?

BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

• 1080p transfer of the film on Blu-ray from a 2K restoration completed from a 4K scan of the original film elements
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
  • Feature-length commentary by Richard Schickel with Elia Kazan, Ted Donaldson, and Normal Lloyd
  • The Making of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
  • An Appreciation of Dorothy McGuire
  • A Tree Grows in Brooklyn Hollywood Star Time: Original radio broadcast version of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn from 1946, starring Peggy Ann Garner, James Dunn and Joseph Kearns
  • PLUS: a collector s booklet featuring new essays by Kat Ellinger, Phil Hoad, and Philip Kemp, alongside rare archival imagery

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm assuming it's the same transfer that was used in the box set as MOC doesn't say "new" 2K restoration. Did the box set have the same special features (other than the collector's booklet)?
1080p transfer of the film on Blu-ray from a 2K restoration completed from a 4K scan of the original film elements
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
  • Feature-length commentary by Richard Schickel with Elia Kazan, Ted Donaldson, and Normal Lloyd
  • The Making of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
  • An Appreciation of Dorothy McGuire
  • A Tree Grows in Brooklyn Hollywood Star Time: Original radio broadcast version of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn from 1946, starring Peggy Ann Garner, James Dunn and Joseph Kearns
  • PLUS: a collector s booklet featuring new essays by Kat Ellinger, Phil Hoad, and Philip Kemp, alongside rare archival imagery
The box set has what I bolded in your quoted post. This might be a new transfer as it's been seven years since that BD box set came out.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
That’s not up to MoC. Those decisions are made by the rights holders, and MoC are contractually obligates to region lock those releases.
Ive seen lots of Region B releases region free... It's just dissappoint that so many great releases over there are not region free and never get released here. :/

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I think those two (2012) Blu-ray sets Volumes 1 & 2 that are now OOP were a missed opportunity for some people. Perhaps that giant (2010) DVD boxset with 15 or so Kazan titles from Warner and Fox had something to do with it as it was an expensive purchase.

Volume 1
Boomerang
Gentlemen's Agreement
Panic in the Streets
Pinky

Volume 2
Man on a Tightrope
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Viva Zapata
Wild River

I didn't even know about these Volumes. And It would have been nice for them to include (or do a volume 3) with America America.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
BUt with Disney now owning FOX, will the licensing continue?

I think that's what many of we film collectors are worried about. Time will tell but I'm not optimistic :( Fox ignores their own classic live action library (20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, The Moonspinners, In Search Of The Castaways, Sword And The Rose, Third Man On The Mountain, Light In The Forest etc.), it follows they'll ignore the Fox library. At least on physical media, I'm sure it will be a major part of their streaming efforts.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I've found MOST (all of the ones I've purchased) MOC EUREKA! Blu-rays can be accessed by using the [top menu] [stop] [Menu] method on my Philips 4k player.
The two Fox Murnau discs "Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans" & "City Girl" play automatically on My SONY 4K player
"Journey to the Center of the Earth" gives a nag (this is Region b ...) on My SONY 4K player then when I press [top menu] I get the top menu
Strictly from memory "Enemy Mine" requires the Philips player work around to work.
All say Region B on the disc and case ...
Your mileage may vary ... So far the only region B disc that wouldn't play the movie at all using this method was "Mel Gibson's Apocalypto" and that was not MOC/EUREKA!

Reactions: PMF

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Ive seen lots of Region B releases region free... It's just dissappoint that so many great releases over there are not region free and never get released here. :/

Yes, in certain cases, the rights holders do not require region locking. In some cases they do. If it were up to the indie labels, they’d never lock anything.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record - a region free player can be purchased for about $100, basically the price of four discs. As the market for physical media continues to fragment and decline, for those who wish to continue in the hobby of collecting physical media, a region free player is an essential purchase. Not getting one at this point is kinda little cutting off your nose to spite your face.

rjsdvd

Agent
Real Name
Robert Short
I have a region-free blu-ray, and have already pre-ordered "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn". Can't wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks