A transponder ? for ROBERT_J

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todbnla, Aug 4, 2001.

1. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Robert_J,
    Is it possible, on a Dish 500, to pick the transponder for 110 and 119 or will the install pick by your zipcode? In my menu under Dish 500 install, it picks transponder 1, but I was playing around and found other transponders that had better signals. Can I pick the transponders I want based on signal strength??
    PLMK-Thanks for your time.
    ------------------
    Regards,
    Todd

My HT

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    When checking the signal strength, some transponders have a higher strength than others. There are a couple of reasons for this. First, some of the transponders are "high power". They just have a stronger signal. Second, a couple of the satellites have been damaged and are running at reduced power. Finally, there are multiple satellites at each position. Even though they are separated by about 50 miles, they are considered to be in the same position. Your dish could be fine tuned on one of those sats causing the signal strength to be marginally higher.
    The screen you are looking at is for display purposes only. It's not a "setting" you can change.
    At postion 119, there are two satellites Echostar 4 and Echostar 6. Transponder 1 is on Echo4. It re-transmits ESPN, ESPN 2 and eleven other channels. Transponder 2 is on Echo6. It re-transmits HBO east, CNNfn and thirteen other channels. There are a total of 21 transponders at the 119 position.
    Lyngsat has all of the information on satellites and what they carry. I got the info above by going to http://www.lyngsat.com/dig/america.shtml and clicking on the different Dish Network links.
    -Robert