What's new

A touch of Classe' (1 Viewer)

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Folks, I am trying to improve my 2 channel performance, and as well giving me a place to test XLR cables.
current evaluation:
Classe' CP-35 pre-pro, S7000 CD transport and DACs via Silvercats to pre-pro and XLR Silvercats to Proceed HPA-2. I have to tell you, the performance seems to blow away my Lexicon MC-1 for 2 channel performance.
Value? How does 800 bucks sound for a processor like the CP-35? How much better can 2 channel get at less than 1K for a new/used piece? The Classe' is used with only 1 surface scratch right on top of the face plate. Other than that, it seems fairly pristine condition.
If I keep it, I plan to integrate it into my home theater, so that all I do to go between 2 channel and home theater is to flip 2 switches on the back of my amp to convert from non-balanaced(RCA) to balanced inputs. Obviously, I wouldn't want to run the Classe' through the MC-1 at all, because of the additional A to D to A process that would occure because the Lex is a digital processor. As far as splitting the signal input into the Classe', not sure I would want to do that from a cable purity standpoint.
I guess I am looking for someone to say, buy it! Or your crazy Lex!, or who has it so I can buy it! lol.
Thanks,
Lex
------------------
Lexman's Theater

Jon Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Doug,
You know you want it, you know you deserve it, Doug.
Go for it. It's a good buy, it's just a question of whether it fits in with your overall system development plans. And your pocket book.
Regards,
Jon

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah Jon, man, you do get around ey?
wink.gif

Well, in fact my system plan is to separate my systems to the extent possible while still integrating in the same room and mains. It actually fits that plan perfectly. My rack runneth over, so it's time to move the 2 channel and pre-amp to a low rider shelf and soak up it's space with my other 120 pound amp on the lowest shelf. Then select carefully my components left ot get bck int my rack. Oh sh*t, now I have to move everything again, lol.
Lex
------------------
Lexman's Theater

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
Lex,
Have you considered a preamp with a Unity Gain bypass, AKA a processor bypass? It might simplify things even more. Some of the higher end Classe units have it.
An alternative that immediately comes to mind (because I just bought one) is the Adcom GFP-750.
It has balanced and unbalanced inputs, can be switched between passive and active, and is rated Class A by Stereophile. It's the cheapest Class A preamp by a long way.
Best of all, there is a guy at AudioReview selling them for $800 new in the box.
Steve

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
Stupid double post.
But while I'm here the Proceed Pre has the same abilities as the Adcom and can be picked up for about $800 used, so you should consider that too.
Steve
[Edited last by Stephen Dodds on July 10, 2001 at 04:17 PM]

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Steve, thanks for the suggestions. Due to the budgetary situation from my business investment, I am extremely limited in funds for fun right now. The suggestions are worth considering. Except for the higher priced thing, that's just out of the question at the moment. Fact is, I am strapped to do 800. Still paying the piper for prior investments in this hobby as well, lol. Did I say hobby? I meant way of life.
I will at least go look at the Adcom and proceed, got URLs?
Unfortunately, I can't hear them here, and that's a big negative in my book. The Classe' is toning into my system very well at present. So, I will be hard pressed to oust it at this point.
thanks,
Lex
------------------
Lexman's Theater

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Well, for 675, I am getting the Classe'. My local dealer called it an Industry discount. Got to like that!
I love the sound of the processor on all but the most sterile music. Very detailed and accurate. As well, with the Sonus faber Concert series tending to the warm sound, it's a good match being a bit lean. I have listened to it quite a lot in the last 4 days, so I am not making just a casual decision here. It's a well thought out and carefully orchestrated decision. Oh, speaking of orchestras, did I mention that string instrumentation is totally pro? I hear every stroke of the camel hair on the violin, no matter the sublety of it.
With dual CAT Cables silver cables run right now, (RCA CD/DAC to pre-pro and XLR pre-pro to amp (*see footnote), it might be that I tone it down some with a silver copper combination later on for one of the runs, if I so desire to do that. Of course, my speaker grills are off as well, producing that much more lean of a sound. So, it might be that reaffixing the grills gives me the complete sound I want. Either way, it's tweakable.
So, I am not concerned at all the the Classe' can't take care of my two channel needs for a very long time. :)
Lex
*Thanks Po-ming for letting me break your 10 foot XLR silvercats in! I will directionally mark them for you. :)
------------------
Lexman's Theater
[Edited last by dougW on July 12, 2001 at 10:58 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks