a ton of questions on my TV & dvd ratios (newbie)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Larry_N, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Larry_N

Larry_N Auditioning

Hello,

Please bare with me, as these are probably stupid questions to many of you. I picked up a new Panasonic PT-53WX53. This is my fist time posting, and I was curious if I could get any advice on tuning my new HDTV. More specifically, this is my 1st widescreen TV and I'm trying to understand how to get the DVD's viewing area to occupy my entire screen. It seems no matter what I do, there are black boxes above and below the screen. How can I correct this? All my DVDs are widescreen formatted.

Does anyone have this HDTV or a similar model , and could help me understand what I am (or not) doing wrong? This model has 4 aspect modes (4:3, ZOOM, FULL, and JUST). None of which seem to fill up the entire screen.

I have seen widescreen TVs that will stretch the screen north-to-south so that there is no "letter-box". Is this b/c I need a better DVD player? I'm not sure if my TV can do this or not, but the zoom function seems to be the best I can get as of yet, ...stillit makes the image jaggedy.

Right now, it's hooked up to an inexpensive DVD player through plain ole' RCA jacks (not component, s video, or DVI).

I'm sorry for the bother, but any advice would be appreciated. I got the TV yesterday, and all I've done is hook up the DVD player into Video Input 1, and did a 9 pt. convergence.

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

On most TV's you'll want to select FULL.

Then there is the problem of multiple aspect ratios. If your movie is NOT 1.78:1 (16x9) then you should see black bars somewhere on screen*

*Due to overscan, some picture is naturally "lost" to another dimension and 1.85:1 movies will not have black bars.

3. Stephen_Ri

Stephen_Ri Stunt Coordinator

I have a feeling your DVD player is set to output 4:3(regular size). You need to go into the DVD player's options and select 16:9(widescreen). Make sure the DVD you test it with says "enhanced for 16:9 TV's" or "anamorphic." From your post I gather that you understand this point but I just wanted to clarify.

4. Larry_N

Larry_N Auditioning

Ah!

[​IMG]

great! Ok, I think I've got it. The DVD player was not set to "wide". Interesting enough though.... all the DVDs that are in anamophic widescreen, but are in the 2.35:1 ratio still have the bars. Is this a necessary evil? I have the Final Fantacy DVD and it must be in 1.85:1 b/c it now completely fills the screen!

excellent. Thank you so much for the info. I had figured it was something rather simple to iron out.

Thanks again.

5. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I think I need to program a macro that automatically types ...

Larry, films are shot in a multitude of aspect ratios, from the near-square Academy ratio to others that are nearly three times as wide as they are tall (Ben-Hur is a spectacularly wide 2.76:1). Meanwhile, TVs come in only two aspect ratios.

Now, ask yourself: Is it possible for either of those two TV aspect ratios to accommodate perfectly the several film aspect ratios? Of course, not. Impossible — that is, until someone comes out with an elastic screen.

Finally, those are not "black bars." It is dead, unused space. Nothing more. Nothing is being "inserted" onto your DVD. Stop thinking "black bars," and, from here on out, observe the active picture area.

(You have noticed that films being screened in commercial theaters don't look completely identical to each other in terms of aspect ratio, haven't you?)

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul