What's new

A tip for removing skunk smell from pets. (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
My mom used to be a pet groomer and she found that the best way to remove skunk smell was to use douches. I know it probably seems silly or whatever, but she says it helped a lot with the smell removal. And please no jokes.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
An office coworker just tried the tomato juice thing on her cat who had been sprayed. Said it didn't work at all.

I have heard the douche suggestion before.

DarrenHo

Stunt Coordinator
try this:
1 qt of 3% hydrogen peroxide
1tsp of laundry detergent
1/4 cup baking soda
muliply up as needed.

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
We just recently went through this with our dog last week.

Darren's suggestion is actually what I found from a few reputable online sources. The only thing to consider when using the solution mentioned above, was that it is a fairly harsh solution and should not be used anywhere near your pets face.

Ofcourse, our Bella was hit in the face so we used Stephen's suggested "douche wash" and it worked pretty well.

Here are a few links with info:

http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20010313.html

http://dan.drydog.com/patsyann/skunk.html

Brian

StephenA

Screenwriter
Funny, after making this thread one of my dogs was hit by a skunk. I looked outside because they were all barking and I saw something running along the fence with it's tail up and knew right away it was a skunk. Only the one dog was hit. The other 2 weren't hit at all. Luckily the dog wasn't hit bad, so the smell came out easily.

After seeing this, my bedroom became filled with the smell because of my air conditioner being on and pulling all the air in. Boy did it take a while to get the smell out.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
last summer, before my dog got really sick and had to be put down, he attacked a skunk and it sprayed in his mouth. he obviously didnt like it, but what shocked me the most was the smell of his breath. even though the skunk sprayed him nowhere near our house, the smell of his breath alone was enough to make our back hall stink for a week. and nothing worked to make it any better. we just had to use lots of fans to keep the hall ventilated and wait it out.

CJ

KyleK

Second Unit
I'm sorry but WTF is a douche? I keep hearing this term, often in conjunction with "bag"

Kyle

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Kyle, they're in the feminine hygiene section of the drugstore (just for future reference...if your pet is sprayed...;) ).

StephenA

Screenwriter
And it's definitely not something to a woman, though I've never done it. It's up there with a little nasty word that starts with a c.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I imagine that the vinegar douche solution is applied to the animal's hair/skin and not used as an internal douche.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Things that work:

Skunk-Off
Massengill vinegar & water douche
1 qt hydrogen peroxide, 1/2 cup baking soda, several drops of dish soap. Thoroughly soak the dog do not rinse off... just let dry. A day or so later wash with a shampoo to remove the residue.

Things that don't work:

Tomato juice....you just wind up with a dog that smells like a bloody mary stirred with several pairs of old gym socks.

StephenA

Screenwriter
That would be a scientific breakthrough if a skunk figured out how to spray things on the inside.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
In order to use the tomato juice method correctly, you must apply lots of tomato juice and really bath the pet in it, rubbing it deeply into the animals fur AND, this is very important, AND YOU MUST LET IT STAY IN THE FUR FOR A LONG ENOUGH TIME FOR IT TO CONGEAL...thats a long time. Like a day or longer. We bathed my sisters dog in tomato juice once after it had been sprayd by a skunk and tried to keep him in a bathroom overnight but he kept crying so we gave up. The smell went away eventually, though it could have taken weeks or so...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks