What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

A Tip For Buyers Of Region 2 DVD’S / Blu Rays (1 Viewer)

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
Just wanted to post that for those who collect Region 2 (UK, etc.) shows, the British pound sterling is at its lowest its been in a long time (almost 1:1) so nows a good time to get those shows that you have been eyeing before the rates go back up. also thats if you buy from UK sites like Networkonair

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Speculation consensus by analysts says the pound sterling will continue to slide over the fall and winter, but it's any guess on exchange rates.

I've had three recent orders from Network, and as anyone knows, they're excellent! I'm hoping to upgrade a couple of my DVD sets to their Blu counterparts soon. Definitely acting now as the exchange rate to my Canadian dollar has tracked in lockstep to the pound's slide against the greenback. And at these prices, I'll take a chance on some blind buys too.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Yes, shipping costs when ordering direct from Amazon UK are prohibitively expensive. That's why I recommend using an Amazon UK Marketplace vendor. While the item price might be a few pounds higher than regular Amazon's price, Marketplace vendors tend to have vastly reduced shipping charges, which makes the overall price far more attractive. As long as you use reputable vendors (I've had excellent service and quality from MusicMagpie and RarewavesUK, for example) and order a product that is in either "New", "Like New" or "Used-Very Good" condition, then you should have a positive experience.

Another alternative is as Randall states above, ordering direct from a company, for example Network. I've never had any issues after placing multiple orders with Network. Just be careful to check your shopping cart to keep an eye on the shipping costs...if you order too many items in one order, shipping charges will jump to 30 pounds. Therefore, I recommend breaking your orders up into smaller ones to keep the shipping costs reasonable (generally around 5-7 pounds).

Last edited:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I used to buy from Amazon UK on a regular bases and made about 2 or 3 purchases a year until the last few years when shipping prices went thru the roof. Now I buy them on EBay or other stores and recently there hasn’t been any new releases I want to get.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Like Angelo, I used to order from AmazonUK very frequently (and also from Amazon Germany) as the prices were reasonable and shipping was more than fair.

Then, after COVID hit, they stopped shipping a lot of stuff, and when they opened back up, something changed in the postal regulations (on the US-end of it, I was told by some) that made shipping charges skyrocket. I haven't been able to justify placing an order from either of these two Amazon entities (much as Id have liked to), because even with discounted prices and favourable exchange rates, the freight was ridiculously high, no matter whether a small parcel or a huge one. I'd have completed my Hawaii Five-0 blu-ray season sets by now (only lacked the last two seasons), but the shipping is too much of a killer, still. I used to order multiple copies of them when there was a sale, put the extras on eBay to sell to other US fans, and usually make enough money back to basically make my personal sets "free", but no matter how I run the numbers, the postage is way too high.

It's also why I've stalled-out on other series I've collected (like the Father Brown blu-rays) as the total shipped prices are way more than what I paid pre-COVID. I just can't make myself do it.

I did order direct for Network during their annual sale in 2020 and 2021, but to make the most of postal discounts versus number of items, I had to order fewer titles than I would've done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McMillan
Recent bookmarks