What's new

A Timer of some sort for a TV ?? (1 Viewer)

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
Once in a while my wife and I fall asleep in front of the TV, usually on the weekends. I was wondering if there is some sort of timer that I can use that would turn off the TV at a set time since my TV has a timer to turn it on, but not off.
The reason this concerns me so is that it is a RPTV, and if it is left on a station with a static image, there is the fear of "burn-in". The TV is a Mitsubishi WS55807.
One thing....it can't be a conventional timer that cuts out all power because there are settings that would have to be reset everytime the timer would be used. Even if the TV is off, it is still drawing a certain amount of current to keep the settings. A regular timer would cut power at, let say 2:30 am everyday, and those setting would have to reset everyday.
I can't be the only one who falls asleep in front of TV and worries about burn in, so I am wondering what you guys use or do to prevent this. I understand that having this happen once or twice won't affect it, but if it happens a couple times a month for a few years, I could see a image being burned in.
Any ideas, suggestions ??
thanks
Matt
------------------
....Eat, Drink, and Be Merry, For Tomorrow We Die....--DMB
NO OAR-NO SALE WARNER!

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Plug it into your receiver if has a sleep function and does not draw too much current. If you use your receiver while watching it anyway.

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
I checked the TV manual for the Sleep function, and the maximum I can set it for is 120 min. from the time you press the sleep button. It would be convenient to predict when I am going to fall asleep, but usually I wake up at 5 in the morning on the couch....with the damn TV still on.
My receiver is a Sony DB930, I don't think it has a sleep function, and I don't think I would be comfortable plugging my TV into the switched outlet of the receiver.
Any other suggestions or thoughts?
Thanks again
Matt
------------------
....Eat, Drink, and Be Merry, For Tomorrow We Die....--DMB
NO OAR-NO SALE WARNER!

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew,
How do you do that trick with the Pronto?
------------------
Jake T
------------------------
"The Things You Do In Life Echo An Eternity"
-Russel Crowe, Gladiator

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Matt,
The only other way you would be able to do this would be to use a timer that will shut off power to the TV, and as you indicated, this is not desirable.
But if you could indeed find an external timer, you will be faced with the same problem you have right now, that is, when to program it to turn off.
I don’t mean to sound rude, Matt, but this should be a no-brainer. I assume you want the TV to turn off soon after you go to sleep? When you start getting a little drowsy, set the timer for an hour. If you are still awake when the TV shuts off, then set it for another hour.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks