What's new

A time to Vent, what's this mean? (1 Viewer)

Jim Sentry

Stunt Coordinator
RSVP::angry:

My Christmas Party is this Saturday and I've sent invites to almost 68 couples.

23 couples have had the courtesy to respond, either accepting or declining.

That leaves 45 couples who don't have the courtesy to simply call and say we can't make it or we can.

RSVP means respond please. I need to know in order to buy the right amount of food, wine, liquor, mixes, etc, etc.

What the FUCK is wrong with some people. HAS COURTESY AND MANNERS GONE OUT THE WINDOW. ARE THEY TOO STUPID TOO KNOW WHAT RSVP MEANS? :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

My wife and I go to a lot of work putting this party together and we never ask anyone to bring anything.

I think we need a new circle of friends, neighbors, and acquaintences.

Thanks for letting me vent.

PS, what worse those that RSVP and don't show or those that don't respond and then show up.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Well at least now you know what 45 couples you DON'T want to invite NEXT year. :)

I'd call each one and ask them personally if they will be attending. I know it's a pain, but if you need to budget for food etc, I think it would be a good idea to find out in person if they plan to attend.

Either that, or call them and tell them you are ordering the food etc, and since they didn't RSVP as requested, you're assuming they won't be attending.

p.s. Happy Holidays!!

:D

Kevin_Spradley

Stunt Coordinator
I personally think RSVP'ing that you will be there obligates you to being there barring a family emergency. I do not like it when someone RSVP's me to say they will be coming, and then doesn't show up. Usually on my parties, I have about a 50% RSVP rate, which isn't bad.
Sometimes I have gone to the trouble of calling the people that have not RSVP'ed. I prefer phone over email for this case.

Good Luck, hopefully you will have some RSVP's this week.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

We'll be there then...:D
Doesn't RSVP mean respond if coming? What does the abbreviation mean? We went through this same crap last year for our wedding. We even asked to please respond if not going. We put self adressed stamped envelopes for the return for god sakes just put the freaking thing in the mailbox...:angry:

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Actually, it means respond whether you are coming or not. Translated from French, it means "Respond, please!" (Repondre, s'il vous plait).

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
RSVP = Répondez s'il vous plaît. Translation: Please reply.

EDIT: Damn you, Jeff! :)

John Watson

Screenwriter
"What the F*** is wrong with some people. HAS COURTESY AND MANNERS GONE OUT THE WINDOW. ARE THEY TOO STUPID TOO KNOW WHAT RSVP MEANS?"

Yes, I'm afraid that's true for vast numbers of people today. We could say they have no "savoir faire".

Good luck with sorting the wheat from the chaff!

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
Next time, you may try this approach:

R.S.V.P. REGRETS ONLY

And it's gotta stick out well.

Worked for me when I threw a party :)

Good Luck!

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Well, my wife and I have a formula when we throw parties. Even if we do ask for an RSVP, we know that the average for our parties is about a 75%-80% turnout so we actually budget and prepare for however many that is out of the number of invitations we send out. One year we actually got over a 100% (rare) turn out and we ran out of food but we thought fast and I out to the local supermarket for some quick deli fixin's and beverages. The following year we over did it and had the usual 75% show up but that was OK too, because the following day we donated the leftovers to our local homeless shelter. Finally, don't get angry because some people show a lack of courtesy, it all works out in the end. Remember.......'tis the Season, and they ARE your FRIENDS!!!:D

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like a nice party which is a pity they don't even bother.
This time of year is pretty hectic and things like RSVPing can fall between the cracks
lately we have been having low key parties; things that don't go bad....beer booze snacks etc and it doesn't matter if 2 or 20 show up. It helps me to actually enjoy them without going crazy or getting pissed at friends who between kids job etc etc are in constant hell

Joel C

Screenwriter

Yeah, I can see why RSVPing would be important. What if you got an odd number?

Hello?

;)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
"What the FUCK is wrong with some people. HAS COURTESY AND MANNERS GONE OUT THE WINDOW. ARE THEY TOO STUPID TOO KNOW WHAT RSVP MEANS? :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I think we need a new circle of friends, neighbors, and acquaintences."

One thing's for sure... if they all show up it should be an interesting party. :)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Yes. You would be surprised by how many people think that RSVP = "respond if attending". I use E-vite to manage my parties and get more responses vs the snail-mail solution.

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
One thing you can do is prepare personalized treats or party favors but only make enough for those that RSVP that they would attend and don't buy any spares.

Make it something cool but inexpensive so the slackers will feel some remorse.

If they ask, you just apologize politely and say "I'm sorry, Since I didn't hear from you, I didn't think you were coming."

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Jesus dude, I don't even know 60 people, let alone couples.

Were the invites clear enough? Maybe RSVP was out of the way or too small to be noticed?

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
You want to know what I did for my first party to celebrate finally living in my very own apartment this past July? I invited everyone and gave a map listing directions and a phone number to contact me if they need help finding my place. That's it - no RSVP required. I ended up with a nice turnout of 80%, which means I had 30 people in my tiny one bedroom apartment. I made sure to buy enough beer and everyone got their share.

Not too shabby for a first party. ;)

Seth--L

Screenwriter
Unless its a big event like a wedding, I think most people feel that there is no difference between RSVP'ng and just showing up; you don't have to do anything beyond being invited in order to attend the party. For a buffet holiday party most people figure that you're buying way more food and booze than you need anyway, so a head count isn't necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks