What's new

'A Time For Drunken Horses' Tartan DVD Review with screen caps (1 Viewer)

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
"Simplicity... a window on another world... the innocence of childhood. 'A Time For Drunken Horses' is a film filled with honesty, but because it is from an environment that so few can relate it almost appears to be intentionally extracting sympathy as we can hardly believe the plight of the characters shown before us. In reality, it instills the obvious values of family, love and perseverance, especially when any semblance of a life of normalcy is so utterly stripped away. Short, but in its sly, roundabout way it is able to touch... sneaking up on you to extract deep emotion. The brutal frankness of the film can leave you almost catatonic. I was strongly reminded of Kiarostami's 'Close-up' and Mohsen Makhmalbaf's 'Kandahar'. Everyone should see 'A Time For Drunken Horses', not for an understanding of fellow humankind, but a strong introspective look at themselves and their lifestyles."

Audio Farsi / Kurdish (2.0 Surround)
Subtitles English, None
Features Release Information:
Studio: Tartan Video
Theatrical Release Date: September 13th, 2000 (Toronto Film Festival )
Aspect Ratio(s):
Widescreen letterbox - 1.66:1 anamorphic

Discographic Information:
DVD Encoding: Region 2 - PAL

Extras:

Original trailer in non-anamorphic widescreen - 1:23

Trailers of other Tartan DVDs:

In The Mood For Love in non-anamorphic widescreen - Brian Ferry singing version - 3:16

Ingmar Bergman Collection - 4:3 ratio, Black + White, 2:57

Terrorist in non-anamorphic widescreen - 1:46

Jules et Jim in non-anamorphic widescreen - 3:09

Comments: No edge enhancement at all and this DVD has fine image quality. Colors are true and there are adequate contrasts. I found it a little dark in the indoor sequences but that may have been in comparison to the extremely bright (often snow reflected) outdoor ones. The 2.0 sound is clear. On the down-side there were scenes in which the dialogue was not translated fully. In a few scenes there is talking going on and there are no Eng subs. The Extras are bare-bones, but I did enjoy the trailers, many of which I had not seen. The lengthy Brian Ferry crooning "In the Mood For Love". It is now my favorite for that film. 12 Chapters, which is appropriate as the film is only 1:15. Overall a great anamorphic picture, good sound, occasional weak subs and weaker extras. 4 out of 5

DVD Release Date: January 2003
Transparent Snap Case
Chapters: 12

FULL REVIEW with more screen caps is HERE

Cheers,

DieterW

Agent
Gary Tooze: The 2.0 sound is clear. On the down-side there were scenes in which the dialogue was not translated fully.

I have to second that. It was rather disturbing, since I had the impression they were really talking, i.e. no joking or yelling.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks