A thought about "Northern Exposure" on dvd

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew Watson, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Matthew Watson

Matthew Watson Stunt Coordinator

With all the big announcements and rumors about TV shows coming to dvd, I got to thinking again about Northern Exposure. This is #1a on my personal most wanted tv on dvd list (after the even more unlikely MST3K season box sets).

Northern Exposure was an amazing program. TV shows are rarely so clever, funny, and human. I have the series taped from A&E, but they're likely syndicated eps edited for commercials and the like. I'd love to have the whole kit n' kaboodle (did I spell that right?) on dvd, but with the music rights being an impediment to WKRP coming to dvd, I'm thinking that this would be a huge stumbling block.

I wouldn't want the series with replacement tracks or generic music. There's no doubt that those particular songs were instrumental (pun intended) to the stories being told. I wouldn't want, for example, different music for the nude run during the Spring Break episode in season one (Lindsey Buckingham's finest minute and thirty seconds, IMO).

I know that there's a R2 season one release, but was there any alterations in the music?

Anyway, I know that many on this board are big NE fans, too. The possibility of the music rights issue came to me recently, and it made me wonder.

Whew.

Any thoughts?

Matt

2. Brian Kaz

Brian Kaz Second Unit

The last time I watched NE was almost a year ago when it moved from A&E to the Hallmark channel and the original musical cues were intact on episodes from over 10 years ago. Being that most of NE's music is quite unknown it may not be much of an issue. But you're right, any little change will most likely affect the feel of the episode.

I just hope these come out soon...then we won't have to worry. This is also numero uno on my list of TV shows on DVD. I couldn't believe the new stuff I saw from Hallmark's edits compared to A&E's. I NEED these episodes uncut!

Oh...and in my mind, Maggie NEVER chose Chris over Joel.

3. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Mark me down for this as well. IMHO, one of the best shows ever made.

Mike

4. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

I have the R2 release and the picture quality is HORRENDOUS! Audio is mono too.

But I'm not complaining, it's better than nothing.

I wouldn't know about any changes because I was too young to remember and don't have any VHS copies either. Sorry.

Let's hope Universal resolves its problems with this. I will rebuy if the quality improves.

5. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Automatic buy for me. Every single delicious episode. I've recorded all episodes from the A&E run, but cannot bear to watch them, since they're on tape.

This is a series that appears to have a dedicated and loyal following. Don't know why there is absolutely no word on a dvd release of the seasons.

6. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

7. Doug Fisher

Doug Fisher Auditioning

I too have most of the episodes on vhs from A&E, i think im only missing 2 episodes actually, but I watch them all the time. I had a routine where I would eat breakfast while NX was on at 2pm here in Toronto.. well ever since its been gone, it just isnt the same, so ive started having the episodes play while I cook/eat. Just something about the show that makes me feel at home I guess. Hopefully they will bring them out.. I see that married with children is coming out now, so NX has to be on the way. Its only on once a week on Hallmark now at 2am or something. Please bring it out!!

8. Angsty

Angsty Stunt Coordinator

I've been waiting for this one since the day I got my DVD player [​IMG]
    You'd think with John Corbett's current fame (Big Fat Greek Wedding), surely someone is able to see the potential, join the dots and sell lots and lots of units of this one!
    Angela
    - wallet ready and waiting to throw lots of money at this one [​IMG]

9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

If there was only one TV show I was allowed to buy on DVD, NE would be it. Definitely one of the best, and most consistent shows ever made. While music rights could be an issue, I think it has more to do with a lack of tie-ins than anything, though Corbett's thing should have been enough. Perhaps if Rob Morrow knocked over a convenience store it would get more immediate attention.

I do hope they combine the first and second seasons for the debut DVD set, since there are only 15 episodes between them.

10. Antonio Silva

Antonio Silva Stunt Coordinator

That show is an example on how to do a tv series. Now, can we have the dvds please?
    In season sets please...
    [​IMG]

11. Brian Kaz

Brian Kaz Second Unit

12. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

I have the misc NX episodes on a number of laserdisc that were released. The PCM sound on the LD was far better, the DVD sound very thin. the PCM has a great Dolby Surround. I really notice the speed differences in some of the character voices. The image was not all too different. The DVD is slightly better, but the compression kills it.

13. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Ulmer, work your Zardoz magic. [​IMG]

14. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Ryan, if HTF still had the kind of interaction with the studios that fascilitated getting Zardoz released, I would easily go to bat for this series with Universal, but unfortunately, like my good Friend...
    "All my powers are gone..." [​IMG]