A thanks to HTFers and the outcome

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CollinMorphew, Nov 21, 2002.

1. CollinMorphew

CollinMorphew Stunt Coordinator

I am putting this in the other section that I use a lot (first is in speakers). If that's wrong, I apologize--just want to make sure I hit everyone since so many people have been helpful. If one needs to be locked--I guess I understand.

Well, I'm pretty well set on what I have right now. Thanks to all the feedback and resources I found on this site (which I only found by buying something from someone that told me to come here for help) I have my system(s) set up and I'm incredibly happy with the results. I don't post a whole lot or ask too many questions ( I actually use the search feature for common questions ) but the information has been incredibly valuable. I recently moved to a townhome that has and extra room and I decided to have a little theater--it's only 10 x 11 so my big screen was out of the question with everything else which is cool. I've listed the items I've gotten and the cost just to get some feedback from anyone on how I'm doing/did along with some ideas. I know this is long but the length doesn't compare to how much fun I have listening to music or watching movies now nor does it compare to how helpful so many people have been. Please, please give me some feedback since it was this community that lead to my enjoyment.

Theater room:

NEC MT 830 Projector (SWEET--1000 lumens but 4:3--oh well--but check out the price w/an extra lamp/bulb no less!) 650.00
    Pioneer 811 used as pre/pro and video processor (300.00)
    Sony 650 5 disc DVD/SACD (150.00)
    Sony 530 DVD audio player only (had for a few years)
    2 Adcom GFA 545 100x2 amps powering Front L/R, Center and Sub (probably need to upgrade this?) 400.00
    Adcom GFA 5300 85x2 amp powering L/R surrounds 200.00
    Adcom GFA 535 II 60x2 amp powering one Rear Surround (had 7.1 before I moved but not enough room now so only using one speaker) 175.00
    JBL S38 Mains
    JBL SCenter
    JBL S36 x 4 L/R Surround, L/R Rear Surround (only 1 used)
    JBL PB12 (now replaced but listed since I bought all speakers at once) 8 speakers 1000.00
    SVS 20-39 (newest purchase--right from HTF--thanks Chris!) 300.00
    4 Dark Blue sheets for walls used for light control and sound assistance 60.00
    Poly-Wall DIY Screen 20.00
    Cabling (almost all monster) 150.00 (rough)
    Equipment rack from container store--this thing is great--almost 6 foot tall with 5 shelves--120.00
    Shipping for items and miscelleneous (SPL, AVIA etc) 500.00

Total (rough) 4025.00

I think that's it for the theater. I have the rack in the closet with the projector and all the equipment--perfect fit. The big change I would have made is the way I bought the amps. I got them at different times and now have an extra 535. So I basically spent 1000 plus shipping on those alone when I could have gotten a great 5 channel and 2 channel amp for the same price. I have since moved the 53" Sony into the living room with my prior electronics and 3 Pinnacle bookshelves that I forgot I had. So now I have two rooms that I really love being in. The leather sofa with the hideaway recliners at either end make a great place to sit in the theater.

Anyway, like anyone else, I could ramble on. The only huge change I can see right now is upgrading the amp that is powering the SVS. It's only getting 100 watts with the Adcom--i have a feeling I am probably missing something

Just for fun--this is what I replaced and have extra with all the above. I think I can get some money off Ebay for these that will bring my actual cost down!

Bose Acoustimass 10 500.00 on Ebay?
    Sony SW-40 Sub (at least I knew the bose lacked bass) 100.00
    JBL PB12 (hello SVS) 150.00
    Adcom GFA 535 (extra) 150.00

900 bucks maybe--get my cost for new stuff down around 3000--how about that

Hopefully, this was fun to read. I have a blast reading all the stuff on here I do and I really appreciate all the insight. I'd really like to have some comments and/or suggestions--there's always something to change or upgrade I've learned

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

even though that's a smallish room, give a little thought to perhaps finding a way to masque the video, create a bit of mood lighting with track lights and maybe look into some DIY acoustical treatments. Don't know if you'll get that for your Bose, but never hurts to try. Give some thoughts to making it a local EBay sale so either you can drop the stuff off or they can pick it up.

3. CollinMorphew

CollinMorphew Stunt Coordinator

That's a good idea. I was just trying to think of a way to block out the screen. I'm going to frame it with wood painted black then try and come up with an idea on what to put up for letterbox or screen bars--any hints?

4. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

More power to ya if you can unload those Bose speakers at a high price! [​IMG]

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

consider posting what you want to do over at the DIY section and I'm sure lots of people will provide some cost effective approaches and some will have links illustrating the process.