What's new

A Thank You To Everyone (1 Viewer)

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
In July'01 I purchased a HK avr 110 with a Infinity Entra 5.1 channel setup including the Entra sub. I basicly took it all out the box,plugged everything in and I pretty much left it alone. I thought I had the greatest system on earth (such ignorance) everything pretty much stood left alone until Jan'03 when I stumbled on to this site,talk about a wake up call, anyway I mulled around here for months until April 30Th 2003.

That day I suffered a heart attack.I was 35 years old. yo yo schedule at work coupled with a bad diet, high cholesterol(510)diabetic(blood sugar was 488) and weighing in at a robust 238.
Turns out I needed a quintuple bypass ( 2 of the 3 major arteries was blocked and 2 minor arteries were damaged) 5 in all. Had the surgery,came home, suffered through all kinds of misery and just when it seemed I was losing it,my wife suggested that I start getting in touch with my family online and BANG I remembered this site.

Day by day I went through all of the topics...reading,learning,soaking everything up like a sponge. When I became strong enough I disconnected everything from my HK and started from scratch...learned about SPL meter's and Avia...proper calibration and bass management, speaker placement and everything associated with HT. Became a member in September '03 and started exchanging ideas and opinions...in essence THIS became my therapy. THIS kept me going...and THIS is why I say thank you.

Monday morning I'll be headed back to work for the first time in almost 10 months.A healthy 195 pound version of before. I'm a little nervous but excited at the same time. Thanks to all of you, my sanity is in tack and my HK/Infinity setup sounds like a million bucks.

Once established at work again (supervisor at HMV in NYC)
I will be making a donation to this site...I figure my mental and physical well being is worth a couple of bucks.

Thanks for letting me get this out.

Now the only problem I have is that I got the upgrade bug...
Those HK 230's really look nice.

Thank you all...
James

;)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
James, kind sir, thank you for the post. I took the liberty of moving it from Receivers/Amps to the After Hours off-topic section because I thought more people would see it here.

We are glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. We are also grateful to learn that our community helped sustain you during your convalescence. Home Theater Forum is like a big family. You'll meet the nicest people here, and they are always there to lend a helping hand in your home-theater journey — and your journey to better health.

Thank you for being a part of Home Theater Forum.

Greg_sford

Agent
Real Name
Greg
James, glad to hear things are looking well for you. Hope you took that special bride of yours out for a special Valentine's celebration. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Isnt it amazing how a hobby like this can draw so much thought and concentration, that it can nurse you back to health. Well we all are here for you.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
When my mother and grandmother passed away within 3 months of each other in '02, I had a similar experience. But, I'd rather deal with that than what you went through.

I am glad HTF gave you a focal point through which you could rebuild your life. It is a grand place!!!

Take care, best wishes with your bypasses, and above all - enjoy your life and your home theater in it!!!!

Mike

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to everyone so far for all the kind words and encouragement. Just by reading your responses it seems I made the right choice by becoming a member of this ht family. again thank you.

I will be taking care of myself,my wife...and my home theatre:b

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
James, glad to see you're still on the right side of the grass. Sorry to say you're now in a downward spiral of home theater addiction. ;)

Cripes! I'm 34... I'm calling my Dr. for a physical!

Stay healthy.

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
Just a quick update...
I'm getting use to working again...dealing with people,staff,reps...etc. A little harder than I thought, didn't realize that being on your feet for so many hours a day was such a challenge. Getting re-aquainted with traffic in the city again...ughhhh....talk about stress!

I'm taking it easy, doing all of the right things and counting my blessings....again, a thanks to all of you.

...Now if I could just contain my excitement about all of the great DVD releases we will be getting in the upcoming months, I'll be ok...;)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
James, I agree with what others have said and I am thankful for your story, and I wish you well as you get used to being back at work. My father suffered a heart attack almost a year ago, though it wasn't as severe as yours and I'm glad that HTF has been a help in your recovery.

HTF really can be like therapy, I like to come here when I'm feeling bummed out, HTF was where I spent a good deal of my night when my x-girlfriend caught me completely off guard when she broke up with me.

Again, I'm glad you shared this with all of us and I wish you well and many healthy years to enjoy your current and any future home theater. Oh, and props to your wife for suggesting you get back with your family online.

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
So happy that you are getting back on your feet. God Bless...........
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks