A survey for people with *regular* tv's.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Adams, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Supporting Actor

Roger Jason Adams
    I'm wondering...there must be some of you that dont have the latest Sony plasma 55 inch HDTV. I'm talking about people with TV's that dont even have proper composite imputs. The folks that buy a RF Modulator to use their DVD players. So, I might as well admit it...I have a 10 year old 27" Zenith Sentry! So what is *your regular TV*?

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Jason,
    Although I do have a newish 16/9 rptv, I still own and use the tv I had before I got seriously into Home Theater.

It's in my bedroom and still works great.

It's a 1985 vintage Sony KV25XBR. It is a 25" stereo tv, with composite inputs (2 sets) but no S-video. Needed a new tuner back in 92, which cost $90 parts and labor. No other repairs but did have to replace the remote after accidentally getting it wet with soda pop. I have the cheapy Apex dvd player I got free with my newest rptv hooked up to it--great for watching I Claudius marathons when I'm sick in bed.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

If you're stuck with having to use an RF modulator, why not consider stepping up to current-model NTSC-based direct-view set with the appropriate inputs? They're quite economically priced. You can get a quite good 27-inch Toshiba for less than $400.

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I've still got & old 1970's 19 inch RCA B&W with many, many hours on it & it's never been in the shop. The only thing I even keep it around for is to see when it will give out & I leave it on evey night for at least 3 hours & I've been doing this for years. Maybe it's trying to out live me [​IMG]

5. Jason Adams

Roger Jason Adams

6. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Jason,

How is the picture quality using an RF connection? I'm just curious. I once borrowed a DVD player to a freind who had a television with only a coaxial input and I had to route everything through the VCR. It was a small television, so I couldn't really tell, but it didn't look like there was much improvement at all.

Bruce

7. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

RF is the lowest quality connection you can use. Connections go in the following order, from worst to best:

1. RF
    2. Composite
    3. S-video
    4. Component/RGB

8. Jason Adams

Roger Jason Adams