What's new

"A Sunday In the Country" (Un dimanche à la campagne) 1984 French classic (1 Viewer)

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Anyone hear any hints that this masterwork, directed by Bertrand Tavernier, may get released sometime in the not-too-distant future?
I've waited forever for this to surface on Blu or at least a remastered DVD. The only Region 1 DVD release I know of (and which is now long OOP) was released by kino in 2002, so maybe they still have the rights? If not, perhaps Criterion would likely get it (which would be awesome)? The film, as it appeared on the Kino disc (which was non-anamorphic), appeared to be much in need of a restoration or at least a new mastering. The picture had a very yellow-brown push to it and the already-muted colors appeared a bit washed-out (unless this was the intention of the filmmakers. have looked into this, but so far haven't found out one way or the other)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
If you have a region free player, there's a handsome 16x9 wide screen transfer (1.66) available from France with optional English subtitles from Studio Canal.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Thomas T said:
If you have a region free player, there's a handsome 16x9 wide screen transfer (1.66) available from France with optional English subtitles from Studio Canal.
Thanks. I looked up worldwide releases on Blu-ray.com but didn't find anything. Will check this out for sure.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Thomas T said:
It's not a blu but you did say, "at least a remastered DVD".
Yes, I stand reminded :). The French DVD you've pointed out for me looks good (from here). Still, this film needs to receive a properly-mastered HD release. This year - or what remains of it - marks the film's 30th anniversary. Certainly as good a time as any.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Tom St Jones said:
This year - or what remains of it - marks the film's 30th anniversary.
Wow 30 years........I vividly remember seeing it when it first came out; it has always been one of my favorites - the lead actress Sabine Azema gave such a vivacious performance, I recall her winning awards in Europe at the time for the film, as did Bertrand Tavernier. It was a huge art-house hit here in New York and I recall it being very beautifully photographed. I would love for Criterion to get this film. I still cannot believe it has been 30 years!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks