What's new

A suggestion regarding easter eggs, not a flame war. (1 Viewer)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I am among those who are very annoyed by easter eggs, but have respect for and understanding of those like Van Ling who enjoy them.
Would it be possible to include a printed set of instructions for accessing them in the dvd case along with the usual chapter list leaflet? This could easily be put on a leaflet sealed shut by a spot of glue with a spoiler warning on the outside. That way those who enjoy the puzzle-solving of the easter egg hunt would not have their fun spoiled, while those like me who don't enjoy them could at least access the material without having to access a web site.
I frankly don't like easter eggs at all, but if I at least had a guide to whatever arcane button pushing is necessary included with the disc I would be able to live with them. Since the instructions would be sealed, those who enjoy easter eggs would not have their fun spoiled.
I really don't mean this to become a debate pro-con regarding easter eggs, just a suggestion on a way to compromise in order to satisfy both sides.
I hope my posting this is not innapropriate, and that any discussion is in the civilized and friendly spirit exemplified by the HTF.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.
[Edited last by Steve Schaffer on August 05, 2001 at 01:01 AM]

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Would it be possible to include a printed set of instructions for accessing them in the dvd case along with the usual chapter list leaflet? This could easily be put on a leaflet sealed shut by a spot of glue with a spoiler warning on the outside. That way those who enjoy the puzzle-solving of the easter egg hunt would not have their fun spoiled, while those like me who don't enjoy them could at least access the material without having to access a web site.
This defeats the purpose of calling them EASTER EGGS, doesn't it? I mean when Easter rolls around, the guy who hid the eggs will not give you a map, right? You have to find them yourself.
What should happen to easter eggs?
Keep them as is. I like the hidden surprises in my discs. Like the goodies in cereal boxes.
------------------

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Oops...I hit the "post" button too soon. Let's finish up:
Good easter eggs:
* George Lucas in Love
* Lost in Space (the quiz was okay; the others great!)
* Stargate SG-1
* Patton/Apollo 13/The Thing (music scores are cool)
* Star Trek: The Original Series
* The Tigger Movie
Bad easter eggs ("too institutionalized"):
* Austin Powers 2 (I left the "2" off of my other post)
* The Abyss and T2: Ultimate (too hard to find GOOD stuff)
* Toy Story/Toy Story 2
* The Matrix
Silly easter eggs:
* Wargames
* Galaxy Quest
* Dreamscape
* Bring It On
* Die Hard 5-Star
That's enough examples...I *could* be here all day!
DAVE

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Rutger,
I don't see how including a map, sealed shut with spoiler warnings on the outside, defeats the purpose of easter eggs. Those who revel in the thrill of the hunt can simply not open the map.
I think denying access to the entire contents of the disc to those who don't wish to engage in puzzle solving is just as unreasonable as totally eliminating easter eggs would be to the sizable group who find them entertaining.
I'm among those who feel that once I pay for the content of a dvd, I should have easy access to all of it's content, thinking this is an entertainment storage medium, not a game-playing experience.
Others get a kick out of finding hidden stuff, just like finding hidden stuff on a video game is a lot of fun and something I enjoy immensely myself.
I don't advocate the elimination of easter eggs, that would be spoiling someone else's fun.
But while I find easter eggs in a video game to be lots of fun, I don't feel like having to engage in puzzle solving to access a feature on a dvd movie disc is fun, quite the opposite.
What I'm after is a compromise that will not spoil anyone's enjoyment of the dvd medium, whether it's those who enjoy easter eggs or those who find them annoying.
I'm willing to compromise and accept having to do an arcane series of button pushes if I have a guide included with the disc. I'm not inflexibly insisting eggs be banned and all content be in the standard menu, that would be a selfish denial of someone else's enjoyment.
I don't see how those who advocate easter eggs can't compromise and accept the presence of a sealed guide leaflet that they can simply ignore.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.
[Edited last by Steve Schaffer on August 05, 2001 at 04:07 PM]

Chris Kr

Agent
I personally find easter eggs extremely irritating. I paid for the disc, why should I have to search out some secret code just to access something on it? Just my two cents.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
I totally agree with Steve. I have never felt special by finding the Easter Egg (notice the singular - it's intentional). Just 'huh? that's all I get for all that trouble?'
On the other hand, I sometimes hear or read (like I did above) that DVDs I have had awhile (e.g. Star Trek TV eps., Abyss, Apollo 13) have features others have enjoyed but I never knew about. Perhaps it's emotionally irrational, but I do feel slightly cheated. Just not enough to go through all the trouble of surfing for a web site clue, performing remote control contortions, all on the chance that it won't be worth it again.
Steve's idea really sounds great, and I hope somebody tries it out on a future release.
------------------
  • May you be happy and well!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks