A suggestion for labeling a "final season" on DVD

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by MattHR, Dec 28, 2005.

1. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

I was in Best Buy recently when a customer asked one of the staff if he knew when “The Munsters” Season 3 was coming out. He was about to look it up on the computer when I let the customer know that the two seasons on DVD was the complete series. I told her there were more episodes per season back then, and the endless reruns made it seem like there must have been more than two seasons. She thanked me for the info, and the staffer resumed his nose picking.

While there, I took a look at the packaging for the two seasons (I also have them at home). Nowhere on either set does it indicate how many seasons the show ran. You’d think that Season 2 would be marked as “The Final Season” somewhere, or at least include the fact within the text on the back. As they are packaged, an uninformed customer, or employee, would do exactly as I witnessed.

It seems that final seasons should be labeled a bit more clearly. In the case of “The Munsters”, I think it should say “The Final Season” under the title, and “Season Two” at the bottom. It also looks nice when there is a numeric indication for the season on the spine, like Warner usually does. It would be a simple practice that would help the casual consumer know when a completed series has been released on DVD, rather than looking for something that doesn’t exist, as I witnessed.

2. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Cinematographer

Pete
    I would agree that somewhere on the box it should say final season. I think it would help alot of people...

though personally it is no matter to me because one of the first things I do when I start to collect a series is check the episode guides online to see how long it ran. [​IMG])

3. Jon_Gu

Jon_Gu Stunt Coordinator

I'd even suggest that something to the effect of...
    The First of Five Seasons, The Third of Five Seasons, or something to that effect be placed on the back of the packaging.

Think about when you go into a bookstore and find a book that's part of a series, the other books in the series are generally listed inside the front cover. That gives the consumer an idea of what other season/product to look for. We take alot of this info for granted, but let's face facts...if studios claim that they want to sell 100,000 copies to continue releasing a series...this and TVShowsonDVD.com are both very popular sites, but there sure aren't 100,000 users on these sites.

Just my 2 cents. [​IMG]

4. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

Actually, if it's the final season it should be labeled as "The Final Season" since most fans would probably have purchased the earlier sets anyway and would know the different. Something like ...

MASH: Season 11 (The Final Season)

5. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Roswell's final season was labelled "The Final Chapter". Of course, since they printed it right under the show's title I wouldn't be surprised if some people are confused into thinking it's a different show altogether (á la Star Trek: The Next Generation etc.) [​IMG]

Chris

6. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    I'm thinking that anyone obsessive enough to own all the seasons would already know how long the show ran. Or would take the effort to find out. But yes, final seasons probably should be labeled in some way. Especially for shows that had no obvious "finale".

7. Peter Raber

Peter Raber Stunt Coordinator

Agreed David, but what if you were buying it as an X-mas gift or birthday gift. Sure the fans who collect the show will know but what about the husband/wife/mom/dad/sib etc. who know that the person they are shopping for likes the show and has the first 2 seasons and thinks the 3rd season would make a nice gift.

It wouldn't be difficult to make the product consumer-friendly, but the studios just seem intent on getting the product out as fast as possible.

8. Rhoq

Rhoq Supporting Actor

A simple "The Final Season" following the Show Title and Season Number would work best.

9. Paul Miller

Paul Miller Supporting Actor

I like the idea of shows being labeled with the final season label because while people may be fans of a show, they may not know exactly how long a show ran because a lot of these shows people first saw in syndication.

Paul

10. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Of course, the customer who comes in looking for something that may not exist might browse and walk out with something else, which is more likely to be in the studio's and shop's interest. [​IMG]

I say nay on such a label - I don't like it when the trade dress of a series changes midway through, and just doing it for the last season seems even less necessary. If a studio feels that this is something that must be indicated, they can work the words "final season" into the descriptive text on the back.

11. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Actually...228,460 users as of 2 mins ago [​IMG]

I agree they should work something into the text on the back of the final season. Thankfully I haven't been asked when the 11th season of "Friends" is coming...at least not yet.

Gord

12. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Cinematographer

Pete
    That's Awesome Gord! Congrats! [​IMG]

Nope... won't ask about Friends: Season 11... but wouldn't mind seeing Joey Season 1! [​IMG]

13. Jon_Gu

Jon_Gu Stunt Coordinator

WOW!!! That's really impressive! Keep up the good work.

14. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

The latest release of Three's Company has a sticker on front saying it is Suzanne Sommer's last season. I am sure this was done as a selling point to increase sales .
    It is a bit deceiving as she appeared in very few of this season's shows. Anyway the more information the better.
    Information concerning when a popular actor comes or goes would also be a good idea.

15. Dean C

Dean C Second Unit

The same as said for the Series SURFACE. It says season 1. And everyone knows its the complete series on it. SURFACE is over it is complete.

16. Scott+W

Scott+W Agent

These are some great points.

I just noticed a series (can't remember which one) that was labeled "The Eighth (and Final) Season" or something like that. Andy Griffith maybe?

Also, since "Knots Landing" made the mistake of not combining the first two seasons (not only b/c S2 was better but because the chronology would have matched "Dallas"), maybe the next set needs a "Donna Mills" tag.

17. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    I'm in complete favor of mentioning this is the final season on the back of the box. Don't pollute the front with even more junk. Case in point: the upcoming Golden Girls Season 7. They had to go and change the verbage from previous seasons to read "The Seventh and Final Season" or somesuch.

For already completed series, if they want to do a "1/5" indicating which season it is out of the total, that's fine. But for current shows that we don't know what the total is going to be...it's an issue.