1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

"A Star Is Born" Garland in 6k resolution

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Danoldrati, May 23, 2008.

1. BethHarrison

BethHarrison Second Unit

Bethany Harrison
    Do you mean the alternate 3 strip Technicolor version of The Man that Got Away that is already on the existing DVD?

EDIT. I found this on the above mentioned forum:

2. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

to andrew Budgell - don't know the status of Raintree.

to Stan Heck. the long Star is born certainly exists, Warners knows who has it, and it is amazing the guy was never taken to court. There must be a lot of strange legal issues involved there.

On thenew announcement. it sounds liike the standard dvd is available for down load only?

3. BethHarrison

BethHarrison Second Unit

Bethany Harrison
    Nah, it will be released on a a 2 Blu-ray set, a 2 DVD set, download, and cable TV, all on June 22nd:

4. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    Are they still going to include the 1937 A STAR IS BORN?

5. BethHarrison

BethHarrison Second Unit

Bethany Harrison
    Doesn't look like it. Only the trailer.

6. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Eric Peterson
    That would be a major disappointment. Big enough for me to skip this release. I was far more excited to a see a proper restoration of the '37 release than a slightly improved Garland version. I already have both on DVD, the earlier film needs much more work.

7. Danny Burk

Danny Burk Second Unit

If the 1937 version isn't included, I don't have a reason to buy it; it was the only reason I was looking forward to this release. This seems to be a recurring pattern at WB. We were earlier told that the 1929 version of THE LETTER would be included with the 1940 version, and that PRISONER OF ZENDA would include the 1922 version. These evaporated when the DVDs finally came about. I don't know whether rights problems may be at issue, but these problems should have been ironed out before announcing titles that later vanish without further comment. What a disappointment.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

I think you're rationalizing your decision not to purchase this release if you think there is only going to be a slight improvement with this high definition release.

Crawdaddy

9. Robert Crawford

Robert

In fairness to Warner, has their been an official announcement that this release would include the 1937 version?

Crawdaddy

10. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    By the way, that press release was supposed to be embargoed
    until tomorrow.

That site could get in serious trouble for posting it a day early.

We will repost it officially in the morning in a new thread as
    we originally planned.

11. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen

It was not an official announcement, but rather in an interview with George Feltenstein that appeared in, I believe THE NEW YORK TIMES this past fall, that indicated the 1937 version would be included. It was pointed out that WHAT PRICE HOLLYWOOD? would not included and I recall that created a small stir of people that wanted it.

At the time I surmised that WHAT PRICE HOLLYWOOD? would be offered at the same time in the Archive collections as I feel the rest of the remaining Judy Garland films will also be offered in the Archives at the same time as A STAR IS BORN is released.

It being included is not a make or break subject. I will own a copy when it comes out with or without the '37 version. I am excited about what the film will look like. I have enjoyed the DVD, but always was a little disappointed with the transfer. I expect a vast improvement with the Blu-ray.

12. BethHarrison

BethHarrison Second Unit

Bethany Harrison
    I am sorry for pasting it in this thread. I wouldn't of done so if I knew it was embargoed. I assumed that since it was up there that it had been released.

13. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson
    Partially!

It comes down to the fact that this movie is not one of my absolute favorites. In fact, I enjoy the original version as much if not more than the Garland version, and these are both films that I will watch every 5 years at best. The last time, I watched the Garland version I don't recall having any complaints with the picture quality. I would love to support WB's efforts for film restoration, but in this case the '37 version needs far more care than the remake. If I can find it cheap enough, I will consider upgrading to the Blu-Ray, but it's far from an essential upgrade for me (without the '37 version).

14. BethHarrison

BethHarrison Second Unit

Bethany Harrison
    Yeah, it is surprisingly good quality for a DVD release that is 9.5 years old.

15. Robert Crawford

Robert

How you spend your money, is your business so I'm not about to tell you anything different. However, getting a Blu-ray disc of a film isn't about justifying such a purchase because there were complaints with the picture quality from a SD DVD of the same film. It's about having a copy of a film on a video format that is clearly superior to SD DVD. I have over 5000 discs in my collection from DVD to HD DVD to Blu-ray and the best looking SD DVD in my collection isn't even in the same ballpark with my best looking Blu-ray disc. Anyhow, that's the only point I want to make right now.

Crawdaddy

16. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson
    I'm not in disagreement with you there. There are many films that I will upgrade to Blu-Ray when the time comes. I was planning on this being one of them, but without the inclusion of the '37 film, the importance drops from a mandatory buy to a Christmas List title. If the price is cheap enough when it streets, I may change my mind....but as it stands right now there are dozens of other films that I'd rather upgrade to Blu-Ray before this.

17. mdnitoil

mdnitoil Supporting Actor

Scott
    For what it's worth, I knew what you meant. The inclusion of the '37 version would have been a big enough inducement to get me to bite. Without it I'll probably pass. For whatever reason, this movie falls into that category of films that are classics that I feel I'm supposed to have in my collection, but aren't films that I go out of my way for. Frankly, if it wasn't for my collector's nature, I probably wouldn't own any copy of the film, so blindly upgrading without a pretty good carrot dangled in front of me is unlikely to happen.

18. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Dozens? In theory or in practice? How many are currently available on Blu-ray?

19. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson
    I guess I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but yes there are dozens of films that I consider more important, more entertaining, and in higher need of improved picture quality than this one. Are they all available on Blu-Ray yet - NO. I would take any Billy Wilder film, Alfred Hitchcock, Sergio Leone, Howard Hawks, and most of John Ford's Films, not to Mention Citizen Kane, etc..., etc... but that's not the point.

Are there dozens of films that I would like to upgrade and that are currently available - YES. Most of them aren't "Classics" yet, but they are certainly worthy of being upgraded.

Let's try and move on now.

I hope that WB did not entirely drop the restoration efforts on the '37 version. If that comes out separately, I'll snap that up in a second. If it comes out in the archive, I will strongly consider making it my first archive purchase, but I will wait to make sure that some significant work has been done. My current PD version is borderline unwatchable.

Anything going on WB? Anything at all? Pretty please!!

20. Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland Second Unit

Count me in as being disappointed that the 37 version is not included, but I will still buy the film. As a fan of Garland, this is truly her penultimate film. Having it in BluRay, and with the accompanying book by John Fricke puts it high on my list. That said, the Gaynor-March version will be missed here.