What's new

A Star is Born (2018 - Bradley Cooper & Lady Gaga) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
New Zealand has added a new descriptor to the film's rating there -- which was already their equivilant of an R.

The problem is that the new descriptor is a spoiler for the end of the film.
Your link is also a spoiler.

Edit. Duh. Removed spoiler link I quoted. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I did not notice that in the URL until you mentioned it. Thanks. Duly noted and edited.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Variety has a good interview between Lady Gaga (discussing A Star is Born) and Lin-Manuel Miranda (discussing Mary Poppins Returns) and their experiences on each.

Also, Warner Bros. has booked IMAX venues for the film this weekend.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
New Zealand has added a new descriptor to the film's rating there -- which was already their equivilant of an R.

The problem is that the new descriptor is a spoiler for the end of the film.
I would bet that anybody at all familiar with any of the prior iterations of A Star is Born walked into the theater fully expecting that particular plot point.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I would think that most of the audience for this film have not seen any of the prior iterations.

With remakes, I think it's semi-interesting to debate if plot points from the prior movie(s) count as "spoilers".

If they remake "Wizard of Oz", is it a spoiler that Dorothy kills the Witch and goes back to Kansas?

When they remake "King Kong", is it a spoiler that Kong dies at the end?

On one hand, yeah, I guess these ARE spoilers, as they reveal major plot points.

But on the other hand, the movies have been around so long that the "spoiler tag" expires at some point, and that should probably apply to the remade version...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
But on the other hand, the movies have been around so long that the "spoiler tag" expires at some point, and that should probably apply to the remade version...
I don’t think Spoiler Tags should ever expire. Nor should they for those who haven’t seen a particular film. There are plenty of classic films I still haven’t seen and would hate for them to be spoiled.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I don’t think Spoiler Tags should ever expire. Nor should they for those who haven’t seen a particular film. There are plenty of classic films I still haven’t seen and would hate for them to be spoiled.

I disagree. Film discussions shouldn't have to walk on eggshells and avoid spoilers for movies that've been out forever.

I understand that these films will always have new viewers who come to them, but I still feel it's not incumbent on those who discuss the movies to avoid plot points.

Plenty of important plot points are part of the cultural vernacular. Is it a spoiler to note the "Citizen Kane" comment TJPC posted? Yup, but that particular spoiler ship sailed a long time ago...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I disagree. Film discussions shouldn't have to walk on eggshells and avoid spoilers for movies that've been out forever.

I understand that these films will always have new viewers who come to them, but I still feel it's not incumbent on those who discuss the movies to avoid plot points.

Plenty of important plot points are part of the cultural vernacular. Is it a spoiler to note the "Citizen Kane" comment TJPC posted? Yup, but that particular spoiler ship sailed a long time ago...
Let’s agree to disagree.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And I freely admit that I’m waaaay more sensitive to spoilers than most people and in the minority. Can’t help it.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If they remake "Wizard of Oz"

Please don't give Hollywood any such ideas. :P

is it a spoiler that Dorothy kills the Witch and goes back to Kansas?

In that particular case, I feel like the ending is obviously heading in that direction. Even the first time I saw the movie, I never had the sense that it would end any other way. It was, to me, more about how she would accomplish that goal and not if.

The initial thing that started this discussion about spoilers for remakes was the New Zealand film board putting the spoiler in the rating description as I posted in post #141 in November. Whether the ending is widely-known in our culture or not, I don't think there was any need to be that specific within a rating description, especially since it had already received that country's equivilant of an R prior to the addition of the spoiler in the description. To run a disclaimer with the spoiler on the front of every screening of the film is just stupid. People attending a film with a rating of R should already expect mature themes and content, and if they don't, that's their own fault.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I’m the kind of person who often reads the last page of a book midway through the mystery. By the time I see a movie in the theatre, I’ve read every review on Rotten Tomatos I can. I also have never been able to resist opening every “spoiler” tag.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Film discussions shouldn't have to walk on eggshells and avoid spoilers for movies that've been out forever.

I think, to a certain extent, that's true. On the other hand, if you can discuss something in an open forum in a way that conveys your point without ruining the experience for someone who hasn't seen it, why not?

In general, on the forums here, we generally use spoiler tags to cover the first full week of release, and then it's free to discuss after that, which I think is reasonable. But I also think it makes sense to try to be aware of the context in which potential spoilers are discussed. If I, as a reader, choose to click on a discussion of A Star Is Born that's being conducted months after the remake has come out, it's reasonable to discuss the ending. It's on me to not click on this thread after the movie opens if I don't want to take the chance of not being spoiled. For example, I'm very much looking forward to seeing "Mary Poppins Returns" but I haven't had a chance to make it to the theaters yet for it; I'm no longer participating in that thread because I know people there are going to be talking about aspects of the film I'd prefer not to know about until I see the film for myself.

But I dislike spoilers that are thrown into a discussion without any context or reasoning, where a reasonable person is not given the chance to avoid the discussion or the chance to have the spoiler hidden with tags. The "Citizen Kane" example is extreme but it works; I shouldn't have to be on guard against Citizen Kane spoilers in a thread about A Star Is Born, as the two films are not in any way related.

I had an issue with a Blu-ray I reviewed recently, and made a comment in my review, because of the audio commentary. The person who recorded the audio commentary ended up spoiling the ending of at least half a dozen classic films, going into great detail about how these other films (which had little to no relation to the film on the disc) ended. A viewer watching a 1940s Hitchcock movie could have a reasonable expectation of not having half a dozen non-Hitchcock 1940s titles spoiled which didn't share any cast, crew or source material with the Hitchcock film. I didn't think any of the spoilers were necessary to the point that the speaker was trying to make, and no warning was given. I thought that was in poor form.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
if you can discuss something in an open forum in a way that conveys your point without ruining the experience for someone who hasn't seen it, why not?

Exactly Josh. That’s pretty much what I was trying to convey unsuccessfully.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks