1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Star is Born (2018 - Bradley Cooper & Lady Gaga)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jake Lipson, Jun 6, 2018.

1. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Gaga didn’t win an Emmy for AHS. She wasn’t even nominated. It was a Golden Globe she won.

2. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    I stand corrected. Thanks.

However, I bet she probably still will find a way to win an Emmy for something at some point during her career.

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    She has been nominated for an Emmy three times, for concert performances, but has not yet won.

JohnMor and Jake Lipson like this.
  4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I just got back from my showing and I must say I enjoyed it immensely. A really good film, one that I hope to watch again on 4K/UHD. The acting was tremendous and Stefani Germanotta was excellent. Man, can she sing, what a voice. Bradley Cooper did well in his dual capacity on the film. Fine supporting performances by Sam Elliot, Andrew Dice Clay and David Chappelle.

JohnMor, Jake Lipson and Tino like this.
  5. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Hmmmm, totally not getting all the love and Oscar hype for this film. I love the 1976 version and thought the trailer for this one looked promising. Was a big fat "meh" for me.

First, I'm not a Lady Gaga fan, though I thought she was fantastic in "AHS". Did not find the songs that special. Most importantly, for whatever reason, the film left me cold. And I say yes -- Ally was a sell-out, which gives me no reason to like her when the stripped-down serious songwriter becomes J-Lo.

Sam Elliott was fantastic! And it's great seeing Andrew Dice Clay getting a good role in this and "Hap and Leonard". And I'm sure many other "Alias" fans smiled seeing Ron Rifkin.

Bernard McNair likes this.
  6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Well, there's your first problem... :)

7. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    :P

8. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Can’t she be both? What if that’s what she truly wanted? Why do you think it’s a sell out?

9. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I'm sorry Elizabeth, but that was pretty funny.

Adam Lenhardt and Jake Lipson like this.
  10. Message #110 of 160 Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Robert Crawford

Robert
    Well, your negative opinion won't be the last one regarding this movie as that's how film appreciation works with a variety of opinions. As to the sell-out accusation, I attributed that to her inexperience and ambition in the music business. After what happened to her, I suspect she will be an artist true to her self going forward as her husband tried to tell her beforehand and that she will remember once she stops her grieving. She'll figure it out and leave that record company and that prick of a producer.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  11. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    I got the same impression and hope so.
    I'm not saying I want a sequel or anything since there's no need for one, but I would love to know what would happen if she somehow found out about her producer's "I don't want her anywhere near you" discussion with Jack, which certainly was a contributing factor in his decision to end his life. I don't know how she would come to know about that, but if she ever did, I'm sure that would blow up her working relationship with him.

12. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Ally seemed to approach her songwriting as poetry with music. The emotion and message therein was what mattered, not flash. Early on, she balked at the thought of even changing her hair. Didn't take much do get her to go along with getting all glammed up and learning a dance routine. BUT, yes, you could say it's because she never felt beautiful but now this glamorous "persona" was gracing billboards.

Yes, Robert, I hope so.

Tino likes this.
  13. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

It's funny because it's true...

14. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Harumph. . . :lol:

Didn't you guys like the soundtrack from the 1976 version? That part in this version where Jack says (twice) "Hey!" "What?" "I just wanted to take another look at you." seemed like a nod to "With One More Look at You" from 1976.

15. Danoldrati

Danoldrati Stunt Coordinator

Dan Oldrati
    They say that in all the "A Star is born" movies

JohnMor likes this.
  16. bujaki

bujaki Cinematographer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    That quote is (twice) from the 1937 version and it's used again (twice) in the 1954 version. I haven't seen either version in ages so if my memory is not quite accurate...please excuse me.

17. TJPC

TJPC Cinematographer

Terry Carroll
    This quote is a recurring line in the two earliest films, and is turned into a song in the Babs version.

18. Robert Crawford

Robert
    The line does appear in prior versions, but Cooper has stated it's a nod to those films. Furthermore, there are other nods to them and to Judy Garland.

19. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    I watched A STAR IS BORN (1954) on TCM on Sunday, my first time viewing it in 44 years. Dave Karger was the host and his guest was Bradley Cooper (who didn't even bother to comb his hair). Not a word was said about the movie they were about to show. Instead, Karger talked to Cooper about the new version. The movie starts. About 40 min. in there are ten minutes of scenes that are largely a series of sepia-toned still images accompanied by the dialogue. How very odd. I looked in Maltin and he explained that when they restored the film in 1983 there was footage missing from the cut scenes, but an intact soundtrack so they put in the stills to bridge the gaps. This is what Karger was supposed to have told us in the intro instead of sitting there blowing smoke up Bradley Cooper's ass for four minutes. I was furious.

This is one of those stills:
    [​IMG]

20. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

No, I didn't like the soundtrack. The music in the 1976 version was abysmal.

From my review:

"The film’s atrocious music doesn’t help. Streisand’s pop-rock career was mediocre at best, but I reserve the greatest animosity for the tunes that it sticks on Kristofferson. John’s supposed to be a rock legend but he gets material without much more edge than Streisand’s pop trifles. John’s tunes are laughably bad and take the viewer out of the story; it’s impossible to believe miserable material like that could have made anyone a star.

This issue becomes more substantial just because Star packs its elongated running time with tons of musical sequences. We get stuck listening to these terrible tracks forever and ever, and they make a tedious tale proceed at an even slower pace.

The music made by Esther results in much unintentional comedy, though. Take the scene when John headlines a concert but halts it so Esther can take the stage instead. In front of a crowd there to rock, she belts out her light pop and enchants each and every one of them!

As they say: yeah, right. If an unknown singer who performed songs like that played in front of a drunk/stoned/God knows what else – and already angry – rock audience, there would’ve been riots, not rapture."

Mikael Soderholm likes this.