What's new

A Star is Born (1937) re-issue: Is this just a repackaging? (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I bought the "new" DVD of A Star Is Born (1937 version) at Borders in Chapel Hill to find it had the same transfer as the old one. "Technicolor Remaster From the Original 35mm Nitrate"? I don't think so.

Is this a mistake, or did anyone else have this DVD and get a remastered edition?

John Whittle

Stunt Coordinator
Whether or not it is a "new" transfer won't help matters much. Technicolor IB prints look wonderful on the screen. Nitrate prints with carbon arc look fantastic and are historically accurate--BUT they do not make decent source material for video transfer (some post houses did have special boards for their Ranks for IB prints but they still couldn't overcome the contrast problems and lack of shadow detail).

The dyes used and the contrast ratio of the print make for poor transfers. Plus a print that would be close to fifty years old (based on the end of nitrate rawstock production) is going to have problems of it's own.

If the title is still considered "pd", then chances of seeing the restored version (also where is "Becky Sharpe"? for that matter) released are few. This is one area where copyright protection works against those of us who want to see the best possible version of a classic film.

John

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I assumed it was from the nitrate NEGATIVES, not an IB print. I'm sorry if I gave that impression. I know one can't make decent video transfer with these prints.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks