What's new

Blu-ray Review A Star Is Born(1937) Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn

For every movie star who rises to the apex of fame, there is another star falling from those same heights; such is the nature of celebrity on display in director William Wellman’s A Star Is Born(1937). Esther Blodgett(Janet Gaynor) leaves her small town to seek fame in Hollywood, where she comes under the eye (and influence) of Norman Maine(Fredric March), a celebrated actor whose alcoholic habits may have accelerated his fall from grace. Norman brings Esther to the attention of producer Oliver Niles(Adolphe Menjou) who puts her through the studio publicity machine and has Esther reborn as Vicki Lester. Character actors Andy Devine and Guinn "Big Boy" Williams have minor roles.

Star Is Born, A

A STAR IS BORN BLU-RAY

Studio: Kino

Year: 1937

Rated: Not Rated

Film Length:1 hour, 51 minutes

Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1

Audio: English LPCM 2.0

Release Date: February 7, 2012

The Movie

Vicki Lester’s ascension to the top of the acting profession coincides with Norman Maine’s decline as a box office draw as he sinks deeper into self-pity and alcoholism. William Wellman(Nothing Sacred, The Ox-Bow Incident) collaborated with Robert Carson on the original story, which legend has it may have been based loosely on the true story of Barbara Stanwyck and her first husband, Frank Fay. Others say that it was based on Colleen Moore and her husband, John McCormick. The fact that this story invites comparisons to real screen personalities demonstrates the truth manifest in the art. Dorothy Parker contributed to the screenplay, which received the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay, and other uncredited contributors to the screenplay included Ring Lardner, Jr., Ben Hecht, and producer David O Selznick.

There are many fascinating examples of the fiction in this film being drawn from real life. One notable example is the scene

in which Norman stumbles drunkenly into the Academy Awards ceremony at the moment that his wife is accepting her award. Janet Gaynor apparently suffered a similarly embarrassing incident in real life when she accepted her Oscar for her performance in 7th Heaven(1927) and her inebriated sister attempted to upstage her during her glorious moment.

The Oscar used in the film was apparently the same trophy that Gaynor won for her earlier performance.

A Star Is Born is an entertaining meditation on the ephemeral nature of fame. The concept of this film has been remade several times, most famously by George Cukor in the 1954 film of the same name featuring Judy Garland and James Mason. The theme is universal and timeless, since the transitory nature of fame is as much a constant today as it was in 1937. The film also presents an intriguing snapshot of location filming of Hollywood landmarks like Grauman’s Chinese Theatre as it appeared in the 1930s.

Video

A Star Is Born appears on Blu-Ray in its original 1.33:1 aspect ratio. This edition was mastered in 1080p from a 35mm technicolor nitrate print from the George Eastman House Motion Picture Department. The image tends to be inconsistent from scene to scene with some parts of the film having excellent contrast and detail and others tending to have poor detail. Blacks are solid but shadow detail tends to be non-existent. Skin tones tend to be pale as is typical (and appropriate) of early technicolor films. Scratches and blemishes are minimal but the originating print, although mostly excellent, suffers from some defects.

Audio

The English lossless PCM 2.0 Audio track is adequate, with sound volume that is consistent without radical fluctuation. There is some minor hiss perceptible but nothing outside the norm of a 1930s film. Dialogue is always audible even if sounding a little tinny.

Special Features

The special features include the following:

Wardrobe test(1:15): Actresses model dresses from the film in this short test.

Gallery: Movie posters and stills from the film may be navigated with the arrows on your remote control.

Theatrical Trailers: Original trailers are included for Nothing Sacred(2:04), A Star Is Born(2:47), as well as a modern style trailer for Pandora and the Flying Dutchman produced for the 2010 re-release in the UK(1:32).

Conclusion

A Star Is Born is a classic film that continues to inspire remakes. The video quality is probably as good as we might hope for in high definition at this time; the video may not meet the standard of that other Selznick film on Blu-ray, Gone With The Wind, nor should we expect it to, since this film has not been restored in the same manner nor on the same budget. The audio is more than adequate for a 1937 feature film. Special features include a wardrobe test and stills as well as an original trailer for the film as well as trailers for other classic Blu-ray releases from Kino. A Star Is Born on Blu-ray is recommended for fans of classic films and classic Hollywood.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
the caps on Beaver look nothing at all like the brand new print the academy showed a few years ago for Great to Be Nominated.

This is not to say the colors looked modern, nor did the film look like a different era of technicolor. It looked like an early three strip film, with somewhat muted colors and a conservative color palate. But it didn't look nearly as bad as those screencaps which display uneven color/skintones etc.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
VERY dissappointed that this Wellman classic has no bonus features; Yes, the trailer and a wardrobe test are great, but Wellman's son is still alive and did some great interviews for the WINGS Blu-Ray... could have had at least a small interview with him on this one... would have had a lot to say about his father because he is VERY knowledgable about his father.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by battlebeast

VERY dissappointed that this Wellman classic has no bonus features; Yes, the trailer and a wardrobe test are great, but Wellman's son is still alive and did some great interviews for the WINGS Blu-Ray... could have had at least a small interview with him on this one... would have had a lot to say about his father because he is VERY knowledgable about his father.

It would be nice to have a little more with it.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
It's a shame that Warner did not see fit to include this in the set with the Garland version last year. Early reports had them including it and then it was dropped. With this release, I highly doubt that WB could ever justify releasing their version. Oh well, this is still better than any of the public domain cheapies that are floating around.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
If Warners released a version with Bonus features and a /or a better picture, I'd buy it again. But I realize I'm in the minority on that one.

I collect the Best Pictures on DVD/Blu, and I want the BEST version possible; this is why I have purchased Casablanca several times... :(

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Eric Peterson said:
It's a shame that Warner did not see fit to include this in the set with the Garland version last year. Early reports had them including it and then it was dropped. With this release, I highly doubt that WB could ever justify releasing their version. Oh well, this is still better than any of the public domain cheapies that are floating around.
I thought What Price Hollywood? was originally suppose to be released with the Garland/Mason version.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
WAC Facebook says they are working on What Price Hollywood for a release later this year. They indicated it was in pretty bad shape. It would have been nice it Warners would put all three A Star Is Born and What Price Hollywood in a collection. I would be nice, but not a big seller.

Hollywodland

Agent
Real Name
Al
For me, the best version of A Star Is Born, the original one... Got a BD and was very disappointed with the PQ... I heard many times WB is working on a better print, and I want nothing more than to see this classic get the attention that Gone With The Wind got... This version of a Star is one of my favourite films ever... I know, its a pleasant dream I have...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks