A SPEED Question...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Adam Scott, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Adam Scott

Adam Scott Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know if the (supposedly) now out-of-print Speed Five Star Collection edition's DTS track from that version is the same DTS track on this stripped-down single-disc version that is floating around shelves now? I want a version only with the DTS audio, but I am unsure if this is the track that carried over from the Five Star Collection, which has earned high marks for the audio, or if this is some "dumbed-down" DTS mix that was prepared only for this single disc release; is this single DVD worth getting, or is the Five Star Collection edition the one to have (I'll try to find it online as I did with other out of print DTS discs)? I am not big on extras, just aggressive DTS audio.

Thanks in advance!

2. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    Adam,

I think the single disc version (which I have) is just disc #1 from the Five Star edition. I got it along with the single disc versions of Die Hard and Die Hard 2, and those are the first disc of the respective Five-Star sets. I think that FOX does this on all of their single disc versions of multi-disc sets (AFAIK this is also the case with the single disc versions of The Abyss and ID4 as well). I have never heard of a studio "dumbing down" a track for a budget release; just completely removing stuff (Columbia, you listening???)

3. Adam Scott

Thanks So Much For Your Reply Derek!

Thanks for this info; I personally own the Die Hard box set collection and these contain the Five Star Collection discs....I didn't know that Fox took those first discs of the sets and repackaged them for single disc budget releases. If so, its a little misleading in that the boxes themselves look budget and downmarket so to speak, leading one to believe there's a substandard kind of disc inside, only to reveal disc one of a two disc Five Star Collection edition! At any rate, I was just hoping the DTS mix on this budget release of Speed contained the original DTS track from the Five Star Collection, as that is raved about as far as I know.

Can anyone else confirm that the DTS tracks are identical on both releases of Speed? If so, I'll just pick up the single disc cheap version as I dont need the extras.

Thanks again Derek for your guidance. [​IMG]

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Adam, I seriously doubt that Fox would go through the trouble of creating a whole new DTS track for the single disc edition.

I would bet my life that the two tracks are identical.

5. Adam Scott

Was just making sure before I picked it up, John. Thanks; I'll pick it up when I get a chance.

By the way, how do you like your Onkyo receiver; do you still have the one in your signature to your link? I have the TX-SR600 which if I am not mistaken is the step up from your model. How do you like your Onkyo? I have become a lover of their receivers and audio gear....the clean asthetics, the strong build quality...I love their stuff.

Also, I'm a huge Michael Myers/Halloween franchise fan (noticed your Mike Myers blog there) and watch that original John Carpenter masterpiece every October 31 without fail....in THX 5.1 surround, of course (on that Anchor Bay single disc 1999 THX certified reissue with the proper color timing, etc.), followed by the sequel and then Halloween III, 4....

Anyone else have any info about the single-disc "budget" version of Speed that's floating around retail shelves now and its DTS track? Is that the carryover from the Five Star Collection?