What's new

A special thanks to a HTF member (1 Viewer)

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Several years ago, I was fighting a bout of insomnia. I turned on the TV and started watching a movie on Showtime I had never heard of it. The name of the movie was Chasing Amy. Although I enjoyed it, I never really thought about owning it. Pretty much the exact same thing happened the first time I saw Dogma.
Recently a movie was released on DVD that I really did not have much interest in seeing. The name of that movie is Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. And because of this release, there has been a lot of talk about Clerks and Mallrats. These two movies, for some reason I never saw. Never had any interest in seeing. I can’t explain it… that’s just the way it is.
Now, there are a few HTF members that I talk to outside of the forum (I know I know it’s hard to believe but it’s true). One in particular was extremely excited over the release of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Because of this (and the fact that I have no will power) I was sucked into his bizarre and wacky world of fancy (he also accounts for my recent desire to start watching Anime but that’s another story). I of course took his suggestion and went berserk. Being the obsessive compulsive that I am I just HAD to watch all the movies in order before watching Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. This of course meant I had to buy them all (I don’t rent any more, sometimes borrow but not rent). I must point out he was lucky enough to be able to share a few words with my wife about my recent spending spree. I understand he held his own…way to go dude!
I just finished Clerks and Mallrats and thoroughly enjoyed them. The dialogue in them was hilarious. Man I tell you if I had friends like that… well I’d probably be in jail. Next I will watch Chasing Amy and Dogma all the while looking forward to seeing Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Bottom line… I wanted to thank him for his suggestions. Thank you for your suggestions. So far they have all been on the money. Now I am looking forward to getting my recent purchase of the first four discs of Neon Genesis (yup, his recommendation). Tomorrow I will try to fit in Princess Mononoke. It’s almost like a whole new world has opened up for me (along with my wallet).

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Neon Genesis and Princess Monanoke'? For the love of Cthulhu man.... be sure to watch all other anime' before you watch Akira. always save the best for last;)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
:) :) How I'm going to do it remains a closely guarded secret. All I will tell you is that it involves Marmalade and the Queen of Bulgaria.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Since you are checking out anime you might want to check out Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade, Wings of Honneamise, Night on the Galactic Railroad.
Unfortunately Wings of Honneamise has a poor transfer especially when watching on a large screen set. If you can borrow someone's copy, check it out.
Night on The Galactic Railroad is a movie that I like, however, I think it is the kind of film you will either like or be bored with. Another one to check if you can borrow a copy. A strange thing about this one though, my VHS copy of this film is letterboxed but the DVD version shows a screen ratio of 1.33:1. I'm not sure if they P&S'd it or if they transferred it "open matte".
Jin Roh wasn't too bad. I had heard some less than generous reviews but I thought it wasn't nearly as bad as some "critics" were making it to be.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Frank,
It took me several years and a lot of
persuasion from members of this forum to
get me to watch a Kevin Smith film.
It should come as no surprise that my
first Smith film was Chasing Amy, which
I absolutely loved.
It wasn't too long until I bought Clerks,
Mallrats and Dogma.
I loved Clerks. I liked Mallrats until
the overly long mall performance ending,
and I did not like Dogma at all.
Still, I was fascinated by the world that
Kevin Smith created. I live less than 5 minutes
away from Red Bank, where his films take place.
One of these days I have to visit Jay & Silent
Bob's stash store.
It is important to watch Jay & Silent Bob
Strike Back last. It wraps up the entire
story with references to all the other films that
came before it. I loved it. It was hysterically
funny!
Enjoy!

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
Glad your enjoying the ViewAskew films.

If you want to go in chronological order this is out is goes:

Mallrats

Clerks

Chasing Amy

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

Dogma

Now, the reason that I think J&SBSB is not the final is because of a comic. Jay and Silent Bob #3. It is pretty much J&SBSB and it leads up to Dogma. So there ya go. Im so anal retentive!

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Looks fine to me Josh. I do notice that every once in a while something does not load right. Leaving and coming back or refreshing usually works to correct it.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'll add my voice to the Keven-Smith-Discovered-On-HTF crowd.
I had no inclination to pick up any of these films. Even Clerks, which I had seen the trailer for numerous times and thought I'd get a kick out of. I figured it was up my alley because of my 13 years' experience in retail! :)
Then I came to HTF, and saw member after member talking about how great these films are! The " :emoji_thumbsup: " never stopped coming! So...
When J&SBSB came out, I picked up every Kevin Smith movie on DVD, even Drawing Flies.
Since that spree a few weeks back, I haven't had a chance to watch 'em. Heck, I haven't had a chance to do taxes! I have either been at work each weekend, or instead spent my free DVD time with my new sideline of writing reviews.
Nevertheless, I was home sick for one day early in this "overworked" stretch, and when I finally stuck in a movie that afternoon after sleeping all morning, it was indeed Clerks. F'ing hilarious!
Too good, and I'm SOOOO looking forward to Mallrats and the rest of them, in release order. They are in a prominent place near my player, so that I don't lose sight of them.
Another Askewniverse convert, all because of the MASSIVE number of recommendations for these films here on HTF. Y'all really are trying to see if you can bankrupt me, aren't ya? :D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Long time fans, like me, had to suffer with VHS quality tapes for the early Kevin Smith material, but it wasn't about the picture quality or the sound quality, it was about the quality of the writing, so even VHS couldn't obscure that about his films.

Glad you've elected to visit the ViewAskew universe, hope you enjoy your stay.

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
Ahhh....yes, I remember back in the day when I had to watch Clerks Mallrats and Chasing Amy or VHS! Ahhh....no commentaries or deleted scenes, how horrible.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Ah, a Kevin Smith thread! While I can't say that I was ever persuaded by any particular member of this forum to check out his films, the forum was the catalyst: I remember reading various posts about people's favorite movies, DVDs, etc. and invariably, Kevin's name and filmography would come up. This and the release of Dogma (I had been following all the controversy online) led me to the View Askewniverse and I haven't turned back! A month ago, I was fortunate to meet him at the Orlando MegaCon, an experience I shall never forget.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks