A Special Feature I'd love to see...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jimmy M, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Jimmy M

Jimmy M Second Unit

In movies that contain new footage from what was in the original version, I would love to see a seperate subtitle track that can be selected. This track could simply display the word "NEW" when new footage is shown. In the case of the upcoming Star Trek The Motion Picture Director's Edition, this feature could have been used to differentiate between completely new added footage and the footage that was added for the television version.
    I can name many movies where this would have come in handy, mainly due to my forgetting what was in the original version compared to a special edition:
    The Abyss
    Highlander (all of them)
    T2
    and so on...
    What do you think?
    Jimmy!
    ------------------
    "The way I live, kids would be redundant." - JMS

2. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I agree, I couldnt figure out until I watched the commentary, which parts of Pitch Black were not in the theatrical release. Of course its easy to miss 90 seconds of extra footage over the course of a 2 hr movie [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Website: http://www.hometheaterfanatic.com
    e-mail me: [email protected]
    My DVD Profiler
    Paradigm Lover
    Donate to keep the Home Theater Forum up and running

3. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    That's not a bad idea, Jimmy! The only version of Aliens I ever watched was the director's cut. I have no idea what was excluded from the theatrical release, although I could research alternate versions on IMDB.
    Terminator 2 is a different story though. I've watched the theatrical version at least 20 or 30 times before seeing the additional footage so it's very easy for me to tell what was added in for the special edition.

4. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

If you look at the chapter listings for The Abyss, Independence Day, Terminator 2 - Judgement Day: The Ultimate Edition, The Last of The Mohicans, and Stargate...the listings usally tell you where footage has been added.
    ------------------

5. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

That's an excellent idea. It's particularly useful when the theatrical version of the film is not included on the disc.

6. Mark E J

Mark E J Second Unit

Tom,
    The theatrical cut of Aliens does contain the following scenes:
    The scene where Ripley gets news about her daughter.
    The entire sequence LV-426 where Newt's parents find the ailen ship.
    All of the footage showing the remote sentry guns.
    There is also several theatrical scenes that have been extended for the DC but I don't remember the details of all of them.

7. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

As long as it doesn't automatically pop the word "new" or some other kind of identification up on the screen, it's fine with me. Make it something you have to specifically select before starting the movie, and have at it.
    ------------------
    Kyle³
    ------------------
    Yahoo Messenger - digitalkyle

8. Jimmy M

Jimmy M Second Unit

9. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Mark,
    While its has been a really long time since I saw the theatrical version of Aliens, I think the chronology is also different: In the theatrical version, they meet Newt after their first confrontation with the aliens.
    this actually made me hate the director cut at first: even without the additional footage, that modification significantly changed the pacing of the movie. But the DVD ended up growing on me so...
    --
    Holadem

10. Mark E J

Mark E J Second Unit

Holadem,
    Well I never saw the film in theaters, however the original video release and all the ones after that I have seen that contain the "theatrical" cut shows Ripley and company finding Newt before the first attack. I know this because in every version I have seen when the coccooned woman is about to have a alien come out of her chest, which happens right before the first attack, Ripley tells Newt not to look. If this was diffrent in the theaters it is news to me.