1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

a "sonosub" from my current sub??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Manuel Delaflor, Jun 25, 2001.

1. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

I bought a little subwoofer for my multimedia setup (only to use it on my computer), its the Kenwood SW303, 100watts RMS feeding an 8 inch driver.
    Can I improve the sound this baby is able to achieve (clean output to around 35Hz) using a sonotube? or should I leave it a it is?
    In a way is like buying all the components individually (amp, driver, sonotube) and I can always upgrade the sonosub with a better driver like the Shiva...
    ------------------

2. Dustin Haug

Dustin Haug Agent

You could make a new box (or sonotube) for it, however you may not gain much. Try and find the parameters of the sub and plug the numbers into WinISD or some other simulator and play around with different volumes/tuning that's about the only way to determine if it would be worth the effort.
    ------------------
    My DIY sub page

3. Manuel Delaflor

I can't find the specifications of the driver anywhere! (Im using all the numbers on the driver and searched over the Internet).
    That means that I need to get another driver to make calculations....
    But anyway.. I think that mouting the original driver on a sonotube MUST improve the extension... am I right?
    ------------------

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

No. Read "The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" for info.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

6. Manuel Delaflor

Patrick,
    quote: The driver doesn't care if you put it into a sonotube, a wooden box, etc, all it cares about is the "volume" it encounters as it functions. [/quote]
    So, if I change the volume I can improve extension?
    The volume inside my sub is really small (11.5x13x11), I can easily build a sonosub with several times more volume...
    Is this one way to go? Of course later I can add a better, bigger driver, but for the moment will I gain anything?
    Ah, and Jack, about the book reading, Im sure it is really interesting... but I can't find it in my country, thanks anyway.
    ------------------

7. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

quote: So, if I change the volume I can improve extension?[/quote]
    Ah, not necessarily. There's quite a bit more to it than that, hence my recommendation (maybe there's another louspeaker book available in your country). To tune the sub differently, you've got to have certain specs, which you can't get, and rarely can for an OEM woofer like that. The amp itself probably has some filtering to protect the little driver from deep bass.
    Just building a bigger box would be hit-or-miss, but,if you've got the time and the tube, go for it. I'm assuming it's ported? Stick the port in there, too, see how that works.
    If you're going to bother, I'd just build a Shiva sub.

8. Manuel Delaflor

Jack
    I will, eventually, follow the Shiva or Tempest path (I will have to go for the driver by myself because importing it would be really expensive). But in the meantime I want to do some tests in order to see what a sonotube can do.
    Anyway, I can build a sonosub and if I don't like the results bring back together my current mini sub and that's it!
    However, I want to understand why adding volume not necessarily translates in to deeper bass...
    ------------------

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

10. Manuel Delaflor

11. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

12. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Based on the limited information, I would not take the trouble to make a sonosub out of that driver. It is probably a no frills paper driver. Instead, do a sonosub with a "known" driver. You can plug in the numbers and design exactly what you want.
    orangeman
    ------------------
    Neil's H.T. Site
    (plus large selection of H.T.Links and movie images)

13. Manuel Delaflor

14. Manuel Delaflor