a sonosub from a comercial ported box sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Manuel Delaflor, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

I have a Kenwood subwoofer.

Now, I know the dimensions of the box, the lenght of the port, that the driver is 8 inch, the amplifier put 100w RMS and that it appears to be tuned at around 35Hz or 40Hz (by the shape of the graph response).

I know those are not at all the parameters to build a sonosub, but I wonder if you experienced guys can help me on this.

I think that it could be possible to make an audible sonosub from all this. Worth it? is there any possibilites to have a lower extension?

For example, what happens if I just give the drive and the port twice the volume?

2. IMO, it wouldn't be worth the effort to make a sonosub from that driver let alone not knowing the T/S. A well built sonosub and well built box will have the same performance.

3. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

To put it concisely, don't bother. There's no magic in merely using a sonotube.

4. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Exactly as the others have stated. You will not gain anything by making your Kenwood into a sonotube.

Kyle Richardson

Acoustic Visions

5. Manuel Delaflor

Wow, I think I understand much less about making a sub than I thought!

Do a driver and its enclosure are a kind of symbiotic thing? I mean, you can't use a driver in a cabinet not designed around it? (or have good results from doing it)?

I really thought that changing the working volume should bring some positive changes...

6. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I thought I remembered this subject. Nothing has changed.

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

8. Manuel Delaflor

you got me Jack...