What's new

A somewhat disappointing Simpons DVD review at DVD File. (1 Viewer)

Michael Ballack

Second Unit
Did you read the same review I did? The only problem he had was with the video and audio but that was because of the way it was shown in season one. His parting shots says a must buy and he can't wait for the nex simpsons set. Hardly disappointing to me.
------------------
Michael's DVD's

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Parting Thoughts
In all, this is a nice set and good first start. While I found the video and audio quality good but not great, and the supplements fairly entertaining though a bit lightweight, for $39.95 this is a sold triple. I expect even better from future Simpsons collections, so bring 'em on!
As I stated in my orignal post, it seems that the reviewer had some minor complaints. I sincerely apologize if I misunderstood the review or took something out of context, but I stand by my orignal statement. Minor complaints were lodged. Yes, I believe we both read the same review.
------------------
Scott
Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
AOL IM: TheAngryJew29

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
What's with the mysterious "unaired episode" that was supposed to be on the disc? I swear that I'm not hallucinating and that was supposed to be included.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Re: The unaired episode thing.
I believe they messed up by saying "episode" instead of "footage" when the release was announced, as all it is is an extension to 'Some Enchanted Evening' showing deleted footage in the Outtakes section.
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on August 29, 2001 at 05:32 AM]

Dale Dobson

Auditioning
I had one factual disagreement with the review - to my knowledge, the first season of The Simpsons was presented in Dolby 2.0 Surround, not mono. I acquired my first stereo system around the time The Simpsons debuted, and I distinctly recall being impressed by the show's use of panning FX. (In the episode where Bart first encounters Nelson the bully and gets stuffed into a trash can and sent on his way, the trash can rolls in from the side of the screen AND the soundstage before Bart emerges and coughs up his cap.) This is not to say that the sound mix isn't gimmicky on the face of it, but I don't think a "remix" is to blame.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm still ready to give Fox my cash for this one. I already can't wait for season 2, and season 1 hasn't arrived yet. I think Groening's comments about how we may be finishing out our Simpsons DVD collections about when the next best HT tech is available is both funny and accurate.
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Craig_T

Second Unit
Disappointing extras or not, I am all over this set come Sept. 25th. I can't wait for Season 2 (22 episodes) and really hope the rumors of it arriving before Christmas are true. I'll take these crudely animated TV shows instead of all that overhyped Mummy/Phantom Menace/Pearl Harbor multi-disc schlockbuster crap coming to DVD this fall and winter.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Craig, Peter Staddon said at the Fox chat that Season 2 would not be out until early 2002.

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
At the end of the day come September 25th, all that will matter to me is that I'll finally have a full season of The Simpsons on DVD, with more to follow. Noise and artifacts aside, I doubt these episodes will look any worse than what's been shown on television, and when it comes to season one, I don't think we can ask for much more than that. The picture quality just wasn't good to begin with.
And if we've gotten to the point where we can call a set of extras on a season set disappointing when it includes a commentary for every episode, well, I'd say we've got it pretty good.

Bob_Mandel

Stunt Coordinator
As you should. No, the image transfer and navigation aren't perfect, but Fox does their TV content the right way. Period. I've got 3 kids 8-14 in the house enjoying this set the past few days. They didn't say anything about the edge enhancement.
wink.gif

------------------
editor,
http://www.digitallyobsessed.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks