1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Sneak Peek at The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by haineshisway, Nov 22, 2013.

1. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    On December 16, 1964 I stood in line at the Beverly Theater on Beverly Drive in Beverly Hills waiting to see the first showing of a new French film whose title had caught my interest – The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. In the ad, there were people with umbrellas and rain, so right there I knew it was my kind of movie. And according to the ad it was a magical film with wonderful romance – right there I knew it was my kind of movie. I took my seat at noon and the film began. From the first shot, I knew it was my kind of movie – and then when the camera tilted straight down to a cobblestone street with rain pouring down and people walking with their umbrellas I was in heaven, and when five umbrellas came on the screen at the same time and the film’s title appeared (in French, Les Parapluis de Cherbourg) I was in ecstasy. But I didn’t know what real ecstasy was until Catherine Deneuve’s first appearance at the window of her mother’s umbrella shop – THAT was real ecstasy. The other thing I was completely mesmerized by was the music, even before anyone opened their mouth to sing. And I don’t think I knew going in that every word of the film was sung, but that only made me love it more just because of the sheer chutzpah of it. I became obsessed with the film, saw it a couple more times that day, and then saw it maybe seventy or eighty more times, wherever and whenever I could. I would literally drive to wherever it was playing, and because it was such a huge hit, it played a LOT over the next couple of years, frequently on a double bill with my other favorite French film, Sundays and Cybele. My love for the film has never abated for a moment – every time I revisit it I fall in love with it all over again, as if I was discovering it for the very first time.

All that by way of saying that a few months ago a new Blu-ray of the film was announced, from the same people who did the Blu-ray of The Young Girls of Rochefort, Arte Video. I had despaired of ever seeing Young Girls looking the the way it should – I owned a Technicolor print of it and it was spectacularly beautiful. When the widow Demy did her disgustingly awful “restoration” of that film back in the 1990s and I went to the theater to see it, I could not believe the travesty my eyes beheld. And since all the DVD releases were from the “restoration” they, too, were travesties. But the people who restored the film for the Blu-ray release were professionals and terrific professionals at that and the result was a truly beautiful and accurate transfer from the camera negative. So, hopes were high because Arte were the folks doing the new transfer for Cherbourg from the original camera negative. No DVD release looked good – in fact they all looked terrible and were in the wrong screen ratio to boot (1.66 rather than 1.85). Yesterday, the Blu-ray arrived. I’d already read one report from someone who saw a screening of the new transfer at the Grauman’s Chinese (had I but known, I would have gone) and that report was heartening, but of course the person reporting hadn’t been alive at the time of the film’s release and therefore would have no real knowledge of its look and color. I popped it in immediately and clicked play. The first shot came up and I knew instantly it was a great transfer – that shot has never looked good on home video. Then the tilt down and the impossibly beautiful parade of the umbrellas under the main titles. Gorgeous. And then the film proper began with the shot of the gas station. Incredibly sharp and beautiful and so much detail that for the first time in seeing this film over a hundred times, maybe two hundred, I noticed that the second car that pulls in the garage, the Mercedes, is driven by Roland Cassard, a character we’ll meet in the first third of the film. I can’t believe I never caught that, but then other transfers were muddy and indistinct.

Then the first shot of Deneuve and I just got all teary-eyed it was so stunning. And on it went, each shot more impossibly beautiful than the last – and the color – the eye-popping, mind-boggling stunning color, every hue of it and some so saturated that it makes your eyes hurt (in a good way) and the transfer handling every bit of it perfectly. Of course I was completely entranced by the film as I always am. It is, for me, a perfect film in every way, from the stunning direction of Jacques Demy, to the amazing camerawork of Jean Rabier, to the décor, to every single performance right down to the extras, to the incredible singers, and to the astonishing music of Michel Legrand, one of the greatest original film musical scores ever written. The film is so magical that I could watch it over and over and over again, and I’m always an emotional wreck in the film’s final moments. This is an import from France (with English subtitles) – I haven’t tried it in my US player but I’ve read that it’s locked to Region B. If you’ve ever thought about buying a multi-region Blu-ray player, this film is the perfect excuse. Of course, this gets my highest of high recommendations. It is coming out in the UK and I’m sure they’re using the same transfer, but that, too, will be region-locked.

cwilli likes this.
  2. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Screenwriter

David Matychuk
    That's about as good as good news gets in this forum.

3. EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin Supporting Actor

Nick
    So, is it still in 1.66:1?

4. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Oh. Thank. God.

I am so there it's not even funny. And I only WISH I had the personal history with this film that Mr. haineshisway enjoys.

It's also a good thing I have that wonderful Blu-ray of The Young Girls of Rochefort. Because that must be watched -- today. Nothing less will do.

5. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Unless my eyes deceived me it's 1.85 (or maybe 1.78)

6. EddieLarkin

Nick
    Interesting! Indeed, the resto trailer measures 1.85:1 exactly.

Btw, Janus Films have this in the U.S., so a Criterion release is likely imminent. They also have Lola, Bay of Angels, Donkey Skin, A Slightly Pregnant Man and A Room in Town, and maybe others though I'm not sure.

7. Tom Logan

Tom Logan Stunt Coordinator

Is this a release we'll be able to play in the US (i.e., Region A/region free)? Nothing at Amazon.com so far.

8. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I'll get the UK version when it's released in a couple of months. I saw the film when it first opened in the UK and certainly remember the vibrant colours. From my recollection it didn't get a very wide UK release - I saw it at a small independent cinema.

9. Jari K

Jari K Producer

1.85:1 has small black bars on the top/bottom. 1.78:1 does not.

10. johnmcmasters

johnmcmasters Stunt Coordinator

John McMasters
    Thank you, Bruce, for this lovely personal history -- and for the glowing sneak peek review of the bluray! I've given myself an early holiday present by ordering both films/blurays from Amazon.fr. With shipping to the US, the total price, for those interested, was $65.

11. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Helps when you translate to French first...before searching Ama/Fr.

12. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Screenwriter

Anthony
    Are there subtitles or is it a case of waiting for the UK release?Can't wait ... I have the fantastic French release on Blu ray of The Young Girls of Rochefort, which does feature English subtitles (v. unusual for a French release!) and although The Young Girls of Rochefort is my favourite of those two, I must have Umbrellas as well!
    It's v. sad that both or those of those movies are in the group which my wife, bless her heart, can't abide ... along with Carousel, South Pacific, Random Harvest and others which I have tucked aside for evenings alone .... still, we do share quite enough, such as all Truffaut, most Hitchcock etc etc

13. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Yes, there are English subtitles on the film. None on the extras, but it's all about the film.

14. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Mine is on its way, and I cannot wait for the very special evening of movie watching this will provide.

If/when Criterion or someone equally worthy releases it here, I will be all over that one as well. It's that special.

15. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    If Janus have it you can nearly bet Criterion will do it. I'm happy to wait.

16. Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger Screenwriter

Jack
    I'm probably wrong but you know the old saying "march showers...." Maybe it will be the perfect March Criterion release.

17. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Excellent movie. I'll likely wait for the Criterion though. Hopefully they can wrangle up the rights for The Young Girls of Rochefort from Miramax as well.

18. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Don't know why everyone somehow divines this will be a Criterion release. Wait if you like, but I don't think it will be coming anytime soon. If you have a multi-region player, there is no reason on earth to wait for some phantom release. Criterion did not issue the film on DVD, in case folks are forgetting, and I'm not at all certain this is owned by Janus here.

19. EddieLarkin

Nick
  20. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    This has been speculated as a Criterion for some time Bruce :)