What's new

A Sneak Peek at The Blue Max (1 Viewer)

gruagach

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Henry
They say the "planned" release date is 11 February 2014. I don't care for Twilight Time's prices, but I may make an exception.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Mark-P said:
Why do you need four? Are you a scalper?
I meant 4 of the newly released February TT titles. Blue Max, Thunder and Lightfoot, The Front, and The Eddy Duchin Story.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
JoHud said:
I meant 4 of the newly released February TT titles. Blue Max, Thunder and Lightfoot, The Front, and The Eddy Duchin Story.
Oh that's good. I thought you were being greedy. :)

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
For our friends who require foreign language options for this film, surprisingly, Fox has already revealed that the Japanese variant will be out from them on April 25th, 2014:

http://video.foxjapan.com/search/detail.php?id=14007

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00I8GQLD8/

As long as we see other variants pop up shortly (and we should), this disc should be Region ABC and have all the usual audio and subtitles options for where Fox owns the title (which in the case of The Blue Max, is everywhere). As with all Fox's Japanese first-pressing Blu-rays, this title is expensive (the current ¥3,809 price is about $36-$38), so it is advisable to wait for another Fox variant, which will be identical in disc content to this Japanese edition and almost certainly be cheaper.

There will be, however, a "luxury" slipbox on the Japanese variant, so that obviously justifies the outrageous price in this case...

Specs over on Fox Japan's web site always only cover English (and/or original language) and Japanese options, but indicate the Fox BD includes English: DTS-HD MA 5.1 and Dolby Digital 2.0 tracks. It will be a BD-50 with MPEG-4 AVC video. Extras appear to be limited to the original theatrical, Portuguese and Spanish trailers, and as expected, the Isolated Score is not available on this release. The rest of the information is about the Japanese dub track for the film, which will be presented in DTS-HD MA Mono.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
McCrutchy said:
As long as we see other variants pop up shortly (and we should), this disc should be Region ABC and have all the usual audio and subtitles options for where Fox owns the title (which in the case of The Blue Max, is everywhere). As with all Fox's Japanese first-pressing Blu-rays, this title is expensive (the current ¥3,809 price is about $36-$38), so it is advisable to wait for another Fox variant, which will be identical in disc content and almost certainly be cheaper.

There will be, however, a "luxury" slipbox on the Japanese variant, so that obviously justifies the outrageous price in this case...

Specs over on Fox Japan's web site always only cover English (and/or original language) and Japanese options, but indicate the Fox BD includes English: DTS-HD MA 5.1 and Dolby Digital 2.0 tracks. It will be a BD-50 with MPEG-4 AVC video. Extras appear to be limited to the original theatrical, Portuguese and Spanish trailers, and as expected, the Isolated Score is not available on this release. The rest of the information is about the Japanese dub track for the film, which will be presented in DTS-HD MA Mono.
*BUZZER* Please try again Sean.

Unfortunately, what you've just described is nowhere near "equivalent" to TT's release of The Blue Max. Okay granted, the presentation of the picture itself from a new 4k scan will likely/probably be from the same Fox master, but you seem to be forgetting (or just flipping off?) TT's offering of 2 - count 'em two - Jerry Goldsmith Isolated Score Tracks (Complete Score plus Alternate Music), as well as the always welcome insight of film pro's like John Burlingame, Nick Redman, and Julie Kirgo via feature length Commentary...not to forget the latter's inimitable liner essays, further sweetening an already very sweet package.

But hey, by all means...continue your globe-trotting search for even pricier, or stripped down variants on this TT title if that's what cranks your propeller shaft. Still, to call this Japanese disc with movie plus trailers only ("It has a slipbox though!") somehow remotely "equivalent" to TT's edition with all of its exclusive fan-savvy content...is...well...I'm sure there's a word. :rolleyes:

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
ROclockCK said:
*BUZZER* Please try again Sean.
Please read my post again. You have entirely missed the point of it, as no comparison was intended. To be extra clear, I have made a small emendation to one of the parts of my post that you bolded.

Pay special attention to the first sentence of the post.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
I think your (originally stated) point was crystal clear Sean.

I mean, what else could have been your point in coming into a clearly labeled "A Sneek Peek at The Blue Max" thread, with an entire post that could be summed up by "We MUST have a 'variant'...some alternative to Twilight Time...A.B.T.T*!"

Not a single positive word in your original post about the very impressive collector-savvy package TT has put together for this film. Not one.

* Anyone But Twilight Time.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
ROclockCK said:
I think your (originally stated) point was crystal clear Sean.

I mean, what else could have been your point in coming into a clearly labeled "A Sneek Peek at The Blue Max" thread, with an entire post that could be summed up by "We MUST have a 'variant'...some alternative to Twilight Time...A.B.T.T*!" Not a single positive word in your original post about the very impressive collector-savvy package TT has put together for this film. Not one.

* Anyone But Twilight Time.
With respect, you seem to be confusing the issue. My post was important here for several reasons, but mainly because there are millions of people the world over, who enjoy films, but do not speak a certain language, or who have trouble with fluency in a certain language (in this case, English). Since the Twilight Time release contains only English audio and subtitle options (through no fault of Twilight Time), an international Fox BD with multiple language and subtitles options is important to bright to light, not least because this is the first of the titles Fox has licensed to Twilight Time to receive an international BD release from Fox themselves.

And while I need not make excuses, I have already posted in this very thread quite explicitly about my admiration for the Twilight Time release, and in fact, I pre-ordered it on the first day it was available.

It is very strange that you are getting defensive about this, as the Twilight Time release is clearly superior for English speakers and is in no way threatened by the multi-territory Fox BD. On the other hand, more Blu-ray fans getting to share in this great release of a great film is cause for celebration, and not reproach.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I was notified earlier yesterday that they had shipped my order so that was great news. Having watched the disappointing German release I am looking forward to it's arrival. Every time a film such as this comes out on blu ray it is always nice to have a projection set up in which to view it on. Having settled on a 2:35 screen I am always looking out for the next classic in that ratio or wider - waiting for Khartoum, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, 55 Days At Peking, Circus World, The War Lord, Monte Walsh, The Revengers, Prime Cut, Man Without A Star, The Inn Of The Sixth Happiness, The 300 Spartans, The Eddie Duchin Story, Eldorado, well, you get the idea!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Darn. My status says still pending. And I ordered, as always 10 minutes after the started taking pre-orders.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Ditto Allen. But if it's any consolation, even when mine does ship, the foothills dogsled team will reach me last. Bet a fin on that. Actually, I'm becoming a surprisingly patient man in my 'twilight' years. ;)

In the meantime, I'm just thrilled to hear that Fox and TT did such a fine job all round with this particular title. Great movie. Great score. And the perfect label to showcase both.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks