What's new

A SNEAK PEEK AT EXPERIMENT IN TERROR (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I first saw Experiment in Terror at a sneak preview at the Village Theater in Westwood, about five months before the film's release. It was a full house and you could cut the tension with a knife after the first scene in the garage. I only really knew Blake Edwards from this late 1950s comedies and then from Breakfast at Tiffany's - and, of course, Peter Gunn and Mr. Lucky. I absolutely loved every minute of the film and best of all, Mr. Edwards was at the preview, as were Stephanie Powers and Harvey Evans (little did I know that close to fifty years later I'd be remixing and remastering the original Broadway cast album of Follies for CD, in which Mr. Evans co-stars - and doing an interview with him for our website in which he talks specifically about this film and Miss Powers and being at the preview).
Five months later, when the film was released, I was back and then saw it five or six times. It was then not until the 1980s when I saw it again, and it was still terrific and suspenseful, and that Mancini score really got under my skin. I was thrilled when the DVD came out, and it looked fine. But now, thanks to Sony and Twilight Time, it's on Blu-ray and it's a beautiful thing to behold. The black-and-white photography of Phil Lathrop comes through beautifully, and the contrast is rich and everything looks just as it should, which means the opticals are grainier and softer than what comes before and after them.
And boy does the film still work. The villain is truly creepy and upsetting, and a couple of the scenes are really uncomfortable to watch, which was the point, of course. Lee Remick is wonderful, as always, and Glenn Ford is, for me, one of the most underrated actors in film history, right alongside Joel McCrea in terms of being ignored or forgotten. Both were superb film actors and both had unique looks and voices - you know, in a time when actors actually had looks and voices and you could tell them apart, unlike today's crop of mumbling actors, who all look and sound exactly the same. Of course, we get wonderful character actors like Ned Glass and Roy Poole and others. Stephanie Powers is unbelievably adorable. The Mancini score, sparse as it is, ups the creepy factor 100%, and the main theme is one of the best he ever wrote. It's kind of a classic, this film, and I cannot recommend this Blu-ray highly enough.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Thanks for the heads-up on this release, Bruce. You must know people at TT, as I had not even seen an announcement.
EXPERIMENT was a real nightmare-inducer for me when I was young and saw it on, I believe, NBC something-Night At the Movies.
I am interested that you described Glenn Ford as "ignored or forgotten." My adult movie life has been filled with his performances (largely through laser disc, DVD and Blu-ray, but I saw a number of his later films theatrically), and I continue to discover movies of his even now. Anyone over 40 or so almost certainly knows who he was. As for the contemporary (i.e. young) general public, few would know him, but he died relatively young and not too many of his films became revival house "classics." So compared to, say, Cary Grant or James Stewart, he tends to fade a bit in the public's memory. Joel McCrea is a different situation. I wouId agree with you that he has been largely -- even mostly -- forgotten, which is a shame because he could be a powerful actor with the right role and director (such as SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS and Preston Sturges). I wish Warner Bros. would give us a Blu-ray Peckinpah set so that we could see his great work in RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY looking gorgeous on video.
Anyway, have a great holiday.:)

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Is there a pre-order up for this yet?
A great, underrated title-- and one I ALMOST bought from a third-party Amazon Marketplace vendor for $40 just before I heard TT was releasing it! Whew. This would make a fine double bill with WAIT UNTIL DARK.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
And, P.S.
When is this due out? TT's Blu announcements for March and April are now out there, and this is not among them.:confused:

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Here is TT's release list for 2013 so far:

OUR MAN FLINT (1966) BLU-RAY - Jan 15th

EXPERIMENT IN TERROR (1962) BLU-RAY - Jan 15th

PONY SOLDIER (1952) BLU-RAY - Feb 12th

IN LIKE FLINT (1967) BLU-RAY - Feb 12th

NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA (1971) BLU-RAY - Feb 12th

THE FURY (1978) BLU-RAY - March 12th

CHRISTINE (1983) BLU-RAY - March 12th

THE SONG OF BERNADETTE (1943) BLU-RAY - April 9th

MAJOR DUNDEE (1965) BLU-RAY (2-disc set) - April 9th

Pre-orders for the January titles go up on Wednesday, December 19th at 4 pm EST. Only at www.screenarchives.com

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Dick said:
Thanks for the heads-up on this release, Bruce. You must know people at TT, as I had not even seen an announcement.
EXPERIMENT was a real nightmare-inducer for me when I was young and saw it on, I believe, NBC something-Night At the Movies.
I am interested that you described Glenn Ford as "ignored or forgotten." My adult movie life has been filled with his performances (largely through laser disc, DVD and Blu-ray, but I saw a number of his later films theatrically), and I continue to discover movies of his even now. Anyone over 40 or so almost certainly knows who he was. As for the contemporary (i.e. young) general public, few would know him, but he died relatively young and not too many of his films became revival house "classics." So compared to, say, Cary Grant or James Stewart, he tends to fade a bit in the public's memory. Joel McCrea is a different situation. I wouId agree with you that he has been largely -- even mostly -- forgotten, which is a shame because he could be a powerful actor with the right role and director (such as SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS and Preston Sturges). I wish Warner Bros. would give us a Blu-ray Peckinpah set so that we could see his great work in RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY looking gorgeous on video.
I think you could ask 1000 people under the age of thirty who Ford is and they would not be able to tell you, other than maybe one or two who might recognize the name from the Donner Superman film. I find him virtually unknown today by most people, just like McCrea. Both worked for major directors and both gave great performances consistently in a large number of films. Then again, I've met kids today who have no idea who Cary Grant is.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Preorders will probably be up this upcoming Friday.
The April titles are new (Finally, Major Dundee!), though the rest were announced a month ago.
I agree with Bruce that Glenn Ford in generally unknown to the average public much like Alan Ladd and and Joel McCrea despite being huge stars in their day and in many iconic roles. A pity, but that's how it is today.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Dick said:
According to IMDB he was 90 when he passed.
Great but underrated film. Also a sentimental favorite since it is one of the few films I screened in my house in 35mm (during original release).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
rsmithjr said:
According to IMDB he was 90 when he passed.
Great but underrated film. Also a sentimental favorite since it is one of the few films I screened in my house in 35mm (during original release).
Wow! Guess I had that one wrong! Nothin' like gettin' to be an old fart! :)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
JoHud said:
Preorders will probably be up this upcoming Friday.
The April titles are new (Finally, Major Dundee!), though the rest were announced a month ago.
I agree with Bruce that Glenn Ford in generally unknown to the average public much like Alan Ladd and and Joel McCrea despite being huge stars in their day and in many iconic roles. A pity, but that's how it is today.
True, ever since Cable and Satellite stations somehow forgot that movies and TV shows were actually produced prior to 1970, and that B&W productions ACTUALLY DO HAVE quality.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I have waited for THE SONG OF BERNADETTE for a long time in blu. Rains of Ranchipur looked fantastic. Much thanks for that movie and the many others I have ordered.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA (1971) BLU-RAY - Feb 12th
Great movie and another that will be on my list. I really enjoy getting the heads up in advance of what is coming out. I always try to order on first day because I am always afraid of sell outs. I still cannot get over how good Ranchipur looked. I am going to watch Beloved Infidel this week. I also like the liner notes on each movie a very nice touch. I also agree with another fan who said extras really means nothing we want just the movie. Count me in that camp. I know you guys have to pay your bills and adding all those extras costs money. Give me the movies not the extras. I know some will not agree with me but that is how I feel.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Was there an overture and intermission originally on NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA when first released to Theatres?

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I believe there was. So many years ago I really cannot recall to much about that fact of the movie. The other fact on Bernadette is you can see the people in Rome in honor of her and then of course buy war bonds in the corner such as Laura has. I think Fox just made a big mistake and I am glad it will help Twilight in the process. The FOX MOD program from what I have read has kept me from all the Fox films so far offered.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
An employee at my local car dealership (the young man is probably 20-25) clearly didn't know who Robert Mitchum is. He asked me what I was reading, and I received a blank stare when I answered "the biography of Robert Mitchum."

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
ahollis said:
Was there an overture and intermission originally on NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA when first released to Theatres?
Roadshow version I saw did not have an Overture. It did have an Intermission with Entr'acte music.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I just thought I would let fans of The Song OF Bernadette know that the soundtrack to the movie is still available at Amazon. The music as fans of the film know is by the great Alfred Newman. The book the film is based on is also at Amazon. The book as they say is a great read. The back story to the film is what I enjoy. The story is very much Casablanca for real. The Author of Bernadette is wanted by the Nazis and has already been declared dead. He and his wife refuge to Lourdes during the fall of France. He learns Bernadette’s story as he states it and swears if he can get to America he will write her song.
http://www.amazon.com/Song-Bernadette-Original-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B00000J7R6/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1355423405&sr=1-2&keywords=the+song+of+bernadette
http://www.amazon.com/Song-Bernadette-Franz-Werfel/dp/1586171712/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355423514&sr=1-1&keywords=the+song+of+bernadette

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks