What's new

A Sneak Peek at Curse of the Demon (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Recently released in France on the Wild Side label on Blu-ray, my copy arrived yesterday and I just finished watching it. Curse of the Demon, aka Night of the Demon, has always been a favorite film, wonderfully directed by the amazing Jacques Tourneur, and featuring a solid cast including Dana Andrews, gorgeous Peggy Cummins (yes, she's a Brit - you'd never have known if you only knew her from Gun Crazy), and Niall MacGinnes. It's atmospheric, creepy and has at least one genuine "jump out of your seat" moment that, no matter how many times I've seen the film, always gets me. There was a perfectly fine DVD release that I believe contained both cuts of the film - the shorter US "Curse" version and the longer UK "Night" version.

The new Wild Side release contains both and happily both have removable French subtitles, even though it says you can't - you can't from the menu, that's true, but just use your remote to shut them off - works like a charm.

So, to the transfer: It's 1.66, and it's quite terrific. Excellent contrast, beautiful black-and-white, very sharp when it should be and interestingly about half the opticals are cut in short, while the shorter opticals are left as is. The detail is excellent - you'll see a few things that release prints would have somewhat hidden, but that is the nature of Blu-ray. It was grand to see it again, looking so fine. And now for the best news - the case states that this is region B and locked - but I put it in my region A player and it played fine, so it looks like yet another mis-identified all region release. Just to be sure, I put in the French Umbrellas of Cherbourg into my region A player, and it would not play.

So, a pretty stellar release from Wild Side and a must for fans of this wonderful film.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I would *love* to get this, but the price tag is too steep for me right now. It's one of my favorites. Ugh.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Good to hear this. Not my number one priority at the moment, but it goes on my list. I do have the very nice DVD in the meantime.

(Speaking of Umbrellas, it's just over a week since mine shipped from France and I'm more anxiously awaiting that than I have just about anything of late.)

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
30 Euros = about £30 after postage.

Just a bit rich for me at the moment, might have to keep an eye on it.

Similar with Gun Crazy. If I lace out the best part of £60 it'll come out in the UK from Arrow for £10 the next day.

Steve W

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Yorkshire said:
30 Euros = about £30 after postage.
Yeah, about $40 for me in the US. Plus crazy shipping from France. Ouch...

I'll have to hope for a Mill Creek bd in 2014. Never thought I'd ever write that...

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Is that price level typical for this label or does it seem to be unique to this title?

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
haineshisway said:
So, to the transfer: It's 1.66, and it's quite terrific. Excellent contrast, beautiful black-and-white, very sharp when it should be and interestingly about half the opticals are cut in short, while the shorter opticals are left as is.
Not sure what you mean about the opticals; can you elaborate?

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Interesting choice of cover art.

619RSAOYZdL._SL1305_.jpg

But I'm still satisfied with my DVD.

Other than the included book, and HD transfer, are there any other good reasons to pull the trigger on this?

It seems that almost every time I splurge for a foreign release, the domestic one is right around the corner.

But I will say that one I don't regret buying is the MOC Nosferatu blu-ray. Just watched it last night. Worth every penny.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
haineshisway said:
about half the opticals are cut in short, while the shorter opticals are left as is.
Thanks for this info, Bruce -- I may go ahead and spring the $40.00 to get it (there are only about a dozen remaining unreleased titles that I would say that about).

When you say "half the opticals are cut in short," I am not sure what you mean. There is still a little film jargon I am not familiar with.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Dick said:
Thanks for this info, Bruce -- I may go ahead and spring the $40.00 to get it (there are only about a dozen remaining unreleased titles that I would say that about).

When you say "half the opticals are cut in short," I am not sure what you mean. There is still a little film jargon I am not familiar with.
I'm not an expert either, but I think what Bruce means is that instead of using dupes for many of the opticals ( a dissolve, for instance) on the A & B rolls and the resultant loss in sharpnes, half were cut in directly using the original negative, and therefore look much sharper. I hope someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
btw, I love the cover, but am a bit sorry that Reed posted it, as now I'm Jones-ing to own a copy. Since CURSE OF THE DEMON is Columbia/Sony, I'm sure that the blu is mind boggling in its visual quality. Anyway, guess I'll pop in the DVD and see.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
John Hodson said:
There's a full review at DVDClassik
I have no search engine to translate from French at the moment. Any chance someone could post what special features are included? Many thanks.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Two versions of the film and the 128 page book apparently. Roughly:

In addition to Rendezvous with fear (Night of The Demon), Wild Side offers Curse of the Demon... This shorter version, by nearly 15 minutes, hasn't the quality of the original film, the cuts have often (and inexplicably) curtailed important scenes which developed some characters. But the biggest fans of the film and the curious will be in heaven, and it is to the credit of Wild Side that they have included this second movie in HD quality, even though ...only owners of a Blu-ray player benefit.

Another supplement...is a book of 128 pages written by the filmmaker and critic Michael Henry Wilson , a great connoisseur of the director who had already devoted a book in 2003 (Jacques Tourneur or the magic of suggestion, Editions du Centre Pompidou). Wilson features details about the making of the film, comparing the scenario to the Montague Rhodes James story on which it is based. Through a thorough observation of the film, his filmography and even its working methods (he considered himself a craftsman), Wilson analyses the approach of Tourneur on terror, his taste for the suggestion and appearances. Very focused on the lighting, the director gave great importance to the relationship between light and shadow: he was "confident in the omnipotence of the imagination..."

test-rendez-vous-avec-la-peur5.jpg

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Dick said:
I have no search engine to translate from French at the moment. Any chance someone could post what special features are included? Many thanks.
The main extra seems to be a 128 page book by Michael Henry Wilson (who published a book on Tourneur in France in 2003 entitled, "Jacques Tourneur, or the Magic of Suggestion." ) The text compares the original story ("Casting the Runes")to the screenplay by Charles Bennett & more interestingly, compares Bennett's screenplay to the finished film, in particular detailing the difficulties Tourneur had working with Hal Chester, the producer. The book contains copious photographs, but I'm assuming the text is in French. The only other extra appears to be both versions, CURSE & NIGHT, which are present both on a Blu Disc, as well as a DVD. The book looks really attractive, which I assume is why it costs so much.
test-rendez-vous-avec-la-peur5.jpg

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
On opticals that are cut in short, you will always see a tiny "jump" incoming and outgoing - in other words the optical only lasts the length of the dupe, and what's immediately before and after is original footage. When opticals aren't cut in short the entire scene before and after are ALL optical dupes and if those scenes before and after are long then there can be a lot of softness for a very long time - see Giant for a perfect illustration of what happens with a LOT of long opticals.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I think whether people want to bite the bullet on this will depend on how much they like the film. It's a favorite and I didn't give a second thought as to the price, same as this same label's about to be released Gun Crazy, which is even more money. There's a little taste of that film before Curse begins and it looks like it will be pretty great.

Booklet is in French, but is loaded with incredible photos and a whole poster gallery in full color.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
"It's in the trees, it's coming" What a wonderful, atmospheric film this is. If Santa doesn't leave me a copy or a UK release hasn't been announced by 31 December I shall be buying this from France.

Incidentally, this film inspired Kate Bush and there is a video on YouTube which overlays her song Hounds of Love onto scenes from the film. I recommend a viewing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks