A "Smart" Move For 2006?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Peter Kline, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Feb 9, 1999
    DaimlerChrysler has confirmed plans to launch a four-seat version of its Smart mini-car in the United States in 2006.

The German-American automaker will build the Smart ForFour in Brazil at a plant that now makes the Mercedes-Benz A-Class cars sold in that country as well as C-Class sedans sold throughout North America.

Smart is a brand started in Switzerland in 1994 as a joint venture of watchmaker Swatch Inc. and DaimlerChrysler to design, build and market tiny, two-seat urban commuter cars. It was taken over by DaimlerChrysler at the end of 1998.

Since the first Smart city coupes went on sale in October 1998, more than 500,000 gasoline- and diesel-powered models have been sold globally.

The line today includes a roadster; a convertible version of the coupe; the "crossblade," which has neither roof nor doors; two specially tuned performance models; and now the four-seat version to be sold here as well as in Europe and Asia.

Pricing of the ForFour has not been disclosed. Two-seat Smarts sell in Europe from about $11,000 for the base city coupe to $15,000 for the roadster. The high-performance models top out near $24,000.
  2. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

Feb 21, 2002
    ah! that explains the "smart" cameo in legally blonde 2....not that i've seen that movie or anything....[​IMG]
  3. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Jan 30, 1999
    I was hoping they would bring the two-seater over here to the 'States. It's much more appealing and the only thing I've seen in a decade that might actually compell me to trade in my 15-year-old CRX.

But the four-seater? Bleh. I'll keep my CRX.