What's new

A Simple Plan Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I was reading a review of this disc at dvdfile cause I read random DVD reviews when I get really bored, and it got me to thinking about how much I really love this film.
I love it for the great performances, especially Billy Bob Thornton and Bill Paxton. I love it for Billy Bob's line after the third guy says, "Well, he ain't gonna miss it." "Cause he's dead right?"
I love it because I love snow and it's the greatest snow-covered landscape I've ever seen put to film.
I love it for the tragedy and poetic justice of its ending. In short, I love it.
The sad part is, I'm too cheap to justify plopping down 15 bucks for this disc because it's too light on extras. Perhaps some more discussion and a few charitable donations would encourage me to loosen up my purse-strings(so to speak, I don't really have a purse.) :D

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Andrew_Sch,

Your sig file violates several HTF rules in regards to signatures.

1) We want pictures under 20k, and pref under 15k. Your is **37k**.

2) We limit sigs to 6-8 lines, yours is in excess of 30 lines.

If you wish to include a picture- we ask that it be smaller than 125 pixels tall- and if you want to include text as well, then 100 pixels and 1-2 lines of text is pretty much the limit!

I have removed the large image- and if you'd like to replace it with something smaller, please feel free...

-Vince Maskeeper

PS: I too really love "a simple plan"- I would recommend fans of the film check out the book!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Andrew,
Three things:
1. I'm totally with you on A Simple Plan. I read the novel right before the movie came out, so I was all psyched up. Despite the few changes (particularly with the ending), I thought the movie was a great success. (This success would not follow over into the box office.) The movie LOOKS gorgeous, Paxton and Thornton work great together and Raimi keeps the tension taut. Solid flick.
2. Never saw your sig. It was too big. Don't worry about that. Chicks will still dig you.
3. If 15 bucks is too much to plunk down to own a movie you really love, you may need to start a paper route. :D

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Billy Bob Thornton is absolutely heartbreaking in this film. Its one of the best performances I've ever seen!

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
Billy Bob and just the whole cast was amazing in this film. Its kinda hard to believe that the same guy that made the Evil Dead Trilogy made this and the Gift.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
You have my vote for 'A Simple Plan' being a gret film.

Sanjay

Member since 1997

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Since I've seen it I've felt 'A Simple Plan' was an overlooked gem. Good to see others who agree.

Jon

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Have any of you read the novel by Scott Smith? Terrific. Much more detailed than the film. After reading the book, I was a little disappointed in the movie, but it was inevitable.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Hey sorry about the sig, I'd appreciate it if anybody could find a smaller version of that pic, I'll be looking for one myself. Okay I found this, please let me know if it's within regulations since I'm a complete dolt when it comes to all that technical stuff like pixels, etc.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm with you guys all the way. One of my all-time favorites...great acting, great story, great everything.

Didn't Ebert show this last year at his Overlooked Film Festival...and IIRC, didn't Bill Paxton attend?

Ash Williams

Second Unit
I'm in total agreement on A Simple Plan being great. I bet I have watched it more than 20 times and it just keeps getting better. To me, it is by far the best film that Sam Raimi has ever made and will probably remain so. My favorite scene is when Hank blows Nancy away with shotgun and she flies about 5 feet in the air, classic Raimi.

DustinDavis

Stunt Coordinator
Agree on all counts. Those of you who want to read the book--it's a lot more bloody, and also very good. And, very different from the book. There are MAJOR plot elements that are different between the two, but I still like both.

Ash Williams

Second Unit
Scott, done. I didn't do it at first because I figured that anyone reading an Appreciation Thread would have actually seen the movie.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
A great book that actually has a superb adaptation. The acting across the board is excellent, and the wonderful cinematography enhances the chilling intentions of the average joe characters. One of the most underrated and under appreciated films of the 90's, that I hope eventually receives the recognition it deserves.
When Bill Paxtion is forced to kill Billy Bob Thornton, you can almost feel his heart break.
:emoji_thumbsup:

BrianKM

Stunt Coordinator
I love A Simple Plan for its beauty, simplicity, and humanity. From the acting to the cinematography to the editing, it is a tight film from every angle.
The scene that absolutely crystalizes the movie for me is the one where Bill Pullman's character finds out that 1 in 10 bills is marked and that he therefore can't use any of them. The look on his face as he realizes that all of the blood on his hands (both literally and figuratively) was spilled for an empty dream from the outset, well, let me just say that it is truly inspired filmmaking.
The movie never resorts to cliches either -
as soon as Billy Bob shot that old guy on the snowmobile, I kept thinking that "there's no way they're gonna get away with this. Bodies are gonna pile up as they cover lies with lies, but Bill is gonna go down in the end - he's too clean not to get busted." And yet, the law never catches him and he's forced to spend the rest of his life with this huge tragedy gnawing at his conscience everyday.
Goddamn, that's a good movie - how come they haven't put out an SE with a director's commentary yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks