A simple Dolby Digital question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonBrown, Jan 23, 2002.

1. JasonBrown

JasonBrown Stunt Coordinator

I've recently upgraded to a DirecTivo that enables Dolby Digital audio output (my previous receiver did not). I don't watch many movies via DirecTv (just DVD) and mainly watch sports and sitcoms via satellite. My question is whether I'll notice an audio difference if I utilize the DD audio from these broadcasts versus just the regular audio output.

I'm going to need a optical/coax convertor and both of these cables given the nature of my A/V receiver so I'm wondering if the audio upgrade (should it exist) is worth about the $70 required to get the necessary cables etc...

2. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

JasonBrown, at this time there are only a few channels(PPV, HBO) that carry the DD signal. So unless you rent PPV or have HBO, you won't be able to utilize the DD signal.

I also have the sony t60 and have only listened to a DD track once(The Mummy Returns on PPV), which was better than renting, since rental stores only carry this movie in P&S.

3. JasonBrown

So I won't notice any increase in audio quality using the DD audio feed for a regular broadcast versus using just the regular audio feed?

4. Dave Dahl

Dave Dahl Stunt Coordinator

It would depend on a number of things. Does your reciever perfrom A/D conversion on the DirectTV analog input now. If so then you should use the digital connection so as to avoid along the layer of conversion.

If not, then it depends on whether the DirectTV box has better D/A decoding in it or does the reciever have better D/A decoding.

What kind of equipment do you have?

-Dave

5. JasonBrown

My equipment is pretty basic (apartment dweller). It's the JVC STP-230 Home Theather in a Box. Pretty decent receiver with it, though I'm sure sure how the receiver does the A/D conversion etc...

6. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

7. JasonBrown

well, the DirecTivo receiver has an optical out only, as does my DVD player. My A/V receiver has one optical in and one coax in, so I need to convert one of them. I'd just assume leave the DVD as is to eliminate one level of conversion since that is what I use the most. I was under the impression that the convertors were more expensive. Thanks for the link!

8. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

Also, I have never heard whether this Dolby Digital is capable of 5.1 or not. Is it?

9. JasonBrown

10. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

11. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

12. JasonBrown

13. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

14. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

Well I learned something today. Now I'll have to set up my own a/b comparison and see what I hear.

Later.....