What's new

A simple connectivity question (1 Viewer)

Steve_Menendez

Auditioning
Thanks fot the forum, I'm new to HT and I have found it helpful. Here's the equipment I have.
TV - Zenith E44W46LCD
Receiver - Yamaha HTR-5750
DVDR/VCR combo unit - D-VR3SU
High Definition digital cable box from Charter Cable

As it is set up now, I can watch my channels in HD, listen to everything in surround sound, play CD's, DVD's etc. The only missing piece is that I CAN'T record what I am watching to the DVDR. I understand that I have to have a cable feed to the DVDR which I am currently lacking. What is the best way to hook these components together that will allow me maintain my great HD clarity and minimize switching. All these components have s-video jacks, but I am using component cables. Should I utilize s-video?

Here is the current setup I have:
From cable source to HD cable box.
From cable box - I have component audio out to the Receiver DTV/CBL jack.
Also from the cable box - I have component video cable out to component Input 1 on the TV
From the Receiver - component cable from monitor out to Component Input 2 on TV.
Also from the receiver - component cable from DVD Jack to Component Video out on DVDR.
Also from DVDR line out I have red, white, yellow cables to DVD jack on the receiver.

Like I said I can understand that my cable is not getting to the DVDR, so how do I set this all up? It sounds like reading other posts that keeping everything through the receiver is the best way, but I really don't want to compromise the video quality.

Sorry for the newbie questions.
Thanks in advance.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
If you don't want to switch through the receiver, then your DVDR will have to have an input for each source you want to be able to record. For example, you would connect the component out from your cable box to your DVDR.

John S

Senior HTF Member
To really give good suggestions on this..

I guess we would have to know every in and out available for nearly every component and your display.

If it were me, I would be for weeks changing stuff around until I decided what was the best convienience / performance ratio.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Steve,

Putting another component (i.e. your receiver) in the signal path is not going to improve the signal. On the other hand, using your receiver to switch will likely not noticeably degrade your signal either, unless it does not provide adequate bandwith (see your manual).

The best thing to do is try it both ways. If you can't tell the difference, I would recommend letting your receiver switch the signal (assuming you have more than once source that you need to switch), as it's an added convenience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks