What's new

A sign the apocolypse is coming (re:Wonder Twins)... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
In a sure sign that the Apocolypse is coming. This was mentione at the Cinescape web site.:
Movie News
WONDER TWINS movie being planned
Third-string SUPERFRIENDS could get big screen treatment
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dateline: Thursday, June 6, 2002
By: CHRISTOPHER ALLAN SMITH
By: News Editor
Source: Hollywood Reporter
Warner Bros. has snagged the rights to THE WONDER TWINS, who if you forget your Saturday morning cartoon history, were the youngest members of THE SUPERFRIENDS way back in 1977.
Zan and Jayna, the purple clad superhero trainees of the likes of Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman, were able to press their fists together and change into either water based objects or wild animals after the famous call “Wonder Twin powers activate!”
No word on whether Joel Schumacher is involved
I think the last line says it all. :eek:

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
Of all the DC characters Warner could make a movie out of, why these two has-beens? If this is true, it looks like they haven't learned anything from Steel and Batman & Robin...

Kevin P

Screenwriter
My question is, are they all grown up now? :)
I grew up on Superfriends. I think they should do a Superfriends movie, not just the Wonder Twins.
KJP

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
A Justice League of America movie would, frankly, rock if they didn't low-ball it with cheezy effects and a crappy script. No doubt.

Wonder Twins movie ... could be cool, definitely. Depends on how they do it, as always. CG would make it at least neat looking, but there's any number of ways they could wrap a script around the WTs. This whole thing sounds like something coming out of Nickelodean; surely WTs are a useful superhero property to aim at teens or kids?

I'm still most looking forward to X-Men 2, Hulk, and Ghost Rider. I'm also still waiting anxiously for an Iron Man movie to be done. (puppy dog eyes)

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
A Justice League movie! Hmmmm. Now that would be good providing it didn't take itself too seriously.
In that vein I present the following link for your amusement. It's dead-on funny:
Seanbaby's Super Friends Page
Some particular standouts: Giganta, Black Vulcan, Apache Chief, Samurai, Black Manta, and Brainiac are priceless.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Time-Warner owns DC Comics, right? So, they have access to characters and stories such as:

- Frank Miller's "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns"
- Mark Waid and Alex Ross' "Kingdom Come"
- Alan Moore and Dave Gibbon's "Watchmen"
- Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's "Preacher"
- Neil Gaiman's "Sandman"
- Steven Seagle and Matt Smith's "Sandman Mystery Theater"

And they go with... THE WONDER TWINS????

Kingdom Come, in particular, could be the best and biggest comic book film yet. But will it happen? Of course not.

The Wonder Twins???

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Actually, aren't the Wonder Twins a copyright of Hanna-Barbera?
I thought they were created for the Saturday morning cartoon.
Either way, I can't see a Wonder Twins movie not sucking. :laugh:

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Steven, those posters sure make it like they could put a very dark spin on the story.

I'm thinking that they are choosing the Wonder Twins so that they can make it lighter for the kiddies.

I wonder who will be cast? I sure hope that Marcel from Friends doesn't play Gleek.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Those "posters" are mockups of the tabloid sized books that come out every year with Ross and Dini. I had heard that Wonder Woman was the last one. Steven is this just a goof-off or is it a project Ross is working on? I assume the art is BY Ross since it's VERY accurate for his style. Could you provide me with the direct link to the page these appear?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Of all the superhero characters AOL Time Warner owns via DC, I wonder why they wouldn't go for ones that people might have some attachment to. I mean, if they want a brother-and-sister superhero team, Billy & Mary Batson (Captains Marvel) are sitting right there.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Few people think of Captain Marvel (Shazam!). However Judd Winick expressed interest in reviving Shazam! (Captain Marvel) if DC would let him (at Wizard World East). I'd love to see that.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Judd Winick wants to do "Shazam!"? The same Judd Winick who writes such great kids in stuff like "Barry Ween" and "Frumpy The Clown"? The same Judd Winick currently doing wonderful things in "Exiles" and the "Josie Mac" back-up?
I loved the recent Ordway series, but Winick would be fantastic for the characters. And maybe, just maybe, it would get him off "Green Lantern" so I could drop that. :) This needs to happen.
Anyway, my point was that "Shazam!" is pretty close to the concept of "Wonder Twins", and while more people may remember "Superfriends", more folks probably remember Billy & Mary fondly than the Twins. (There was a live-action "Shazam" series around the same time)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
It's too bad there isn't a comic book forum worth anything, because there are a lot of times I'd love to go OT. Clarification on "kids" stuff here (which I know you understand) writing OF kids, not writing FOR kids. Barry Ween has a mouth on him. Found out at the con that there are only 2300 BW #1's in the world. And I have 3...
Anyway, I think Winick MAKES GL great. And I was against the concept of Exiles (Quantum Leap meets Sliders in Marvel-land) until I read his work on it. I'd love to see him do Shazam! though. Love to. Blood and Water should be awesome next month though.
Um... on topic and stuff... I don't think JW has any interest in writing Wonder Twins :).

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
I never could get with the Wonder Twins. It always rubbed me the wrong way that they unceremoniously ditched their former teen "friends" Marvin and Wendy as soon as they found some youngsters with super powers. I could just see it, though- "Well sorry kids, it's been great but we're the Super Friends and you normal kids just aren't cutting it anymore. Look, Batman is a human but he's putting in the extra effort to be more Super. You're not. And we found some other teens who are, so see ya in the reruns."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks