A short review.... Yamaha S2300

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John-Miles, Feb 22, 2003.

1. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Ok I'm not the review type person, so im not going to go into allot of detail here, but these are my impressions.

First let me note I have not calibrated anything yet, i just plugged it all in and adjusted a few settings, such as telling it what size speakers i have. And im dead tired too so not much is going to be done today, i was up till 2:30 setting stuff up.

Anyway I am totally blown away by the DVD-A sound on the Yamaha, the BM is everythign i could want, compared to the RP-91 this player rocks, all the detail and clarity is there, with the fullness i get oon a DD DTS or CD track, due of course to the BM.

The player is whisper quiet, I dont notice and noise, hell ive opened it up to put a disc in and never even knew it had opened cause i looked away, then blam there it was opened whisper quiet.

This player is SOLID, weighs a TON and it really has the feel of good build quality. maybe the insides are junk but with whats outside it rules. I am a big time ROCK fan, the ehavier the better most of the time, infact as i wirte this I am listening to Prayer by Disturbed on DVD-A and I really never knew music could sound this good, I have been to concerts that never had the level of detail I am noticing now.

I havent yet explored the video side of this player, but I must admit that i will be biased when reviewing the video.... I am currently running a PS2 so i expect any praise i have will be like well DUH of course its better.

anyway I have to go back to enjoying this fine piece of equipment, if you have any specific questions just ask, and I will add to this thread as i have more to say.

P.S I also picked up a Yamaha RX-V1300, I compared this to the Marantz SR7300.... and I must say it was a very close comparison.... the Marantz had a few features that i really liked, but as far as sund quality... the Yamaha beat it hands down, when listening to Metallica DVD-A on both players the Yamaha receiver gave a clearer cleaner reproduction of the sound.

EDIT: I must admit there is one thing that i really do not like about the Yamaha, it only has a hard on off switch, I would like to be able to turn it on with the remote.....

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

What kind of speakers are you using, John? Also, did you try any SACDs?

DJ

3. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Im using PSB alpha Intro's all small speakers. and an Alpha Subzero sub

I tried the Stone London years SACD's, but I havent gone intot he SACD BM yet so it didn't sound that great so far.

Honestly though i find the Multi channel is more important to me than the added resolution.

4. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

Glad to hear you got it,I just ordered one thursday,let us know how you like it overall, when you get it all set up.

5. Deasun

Deasun Auditioning

Good morning,

Myself and the wife have been looking for a new player and decided on the S2300. But we can't find it anywhere. We are in NJ USA. Where did you order it from ?

Thanks
    Deasun

6. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

I ordered mine from ovation audio/video,louisville,ky,from Matt.

7. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Well i had to get my local dealer to harrass Yamaha Canada to get one in from the states [​IMG]

So I really cant tell you where to get one, just try talkign to a dealer you are familiar with im sure they can get you one.

8. dominicci

dominicci Auditioning

I got mine about a month ago. I bought this from a local distributor because my usual dealer didn't carry Yamaha. When he heard the sound and video coming out of this monster he was blown away. I'm talking about a guy that sells $5000 DVD players so he really knows his stuff.

Anyways, I have bought several DVD-Audio and SACD's and I must say that I have never listened to anything like it I'm hooked. In the video side I have a Sharpvision Z91 projector on a Dalite 84" screen and it looks awesome, no chroma bug here.

I highly recommend this DVD, it is an all around winner.