A Short Interview of Floyd Toole

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Chu Gai, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

2. Will d s

Will d s Stunt Coordinator

It would be interesting to know all the brands and models tested. I bet thier would be some surprises with the blind testing.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

For those with additional interest, there was an excellent article in the Audio Critic, two issues ago, by Floyd talking about some of the work he did at the NRC/HI. Interesting results about what people prefer in terms of real speaker designs: smooth freq response, wide dispersion, and low distortion. Kind of common sense really, but they did a whole bunch of listening tests between different brands and designs of speakers to confirm those conclusions.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I've often wondered, regarding the speakers that garner praise in places like 6moons, positive-review, etc. if they meet these criteria?

5. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

For what it's worth...

Floyd held a test not that long ago (Phil I., where are you? I know you have a reference), with an array of bookshelf speakers, hidden behind a screen of some kind.

Perhaps you only tell the world when you win, but listeners chose a low to mid-priced JBL model from the Studio series over everything else in the test, over speakers costing a great deal more.