What's new

A "Service Contract" that actually worked! (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
In Jan '04 I bought an $999 Apex 55" rptv (I know, but it was cheap and so am I) from CompUSA. I was at least smart enough to get the 4 year TAP service contract @ $99. About three weeks ago, I turned it on and it looked like a bad 3D movie without the 3D glasses. I fussed with it a bit but to no avail. Called the TAP 800 number and was told that replacement parts were no longer available for that make/model. Under the terms, a replacement was offered. A week and a half later, and without any hassles, an $1120(?) gift card was waiting for me at the nearest store in Emeryville CA. I added about $300 to the gift card and hour later I was out the door with a new 52" Mitsubishi rptv. I'm always hearing horror stories about these type of contracts so I thought I'd tell one that went smooth as glass for a change.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Curious (as my extended warranty on my PDP is coming to an end next year) as to where the "gift card" was made available as I thought CompUSA was out of business?

Mort

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
CompUSA closed down a lot of their retail stores in certain states, but they still have an online business, and a smaller number of retail stores around the country (for now).

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
There are still five in the S.F Bay Area but they did close two (San Jose and Pleasanton.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
There are at least a couple of CompUSA stores near me--one in the New Orleans area and another in Baton Rouge. This is the first I've heard of CompUSA having any business problems.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Gene: Nice story. Great to know things worked out as they did/should have.

And to think that your old set had the decency to die with three months to go on the service contract! :emoji_thumbsup: Usually they'll hold on until a few weeks after the darn thing has expired. :D

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Well, even though I bought it NIB in Jan of '04 it was manufactured in July of '02 so it probably thought it was past the warranty and time to die! That's the thing about buying cheap tv's. They're stupid too! :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks