What's new

A serious DVD Audio question...... (1 Viewer)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
My JVC RX-778VBK operation manual reads:
IMPORTANT:
THE SAMPLING RATE CONVERTER BUILT IN THIS UNIT CORRESPONDS ONLY TO 32kHz, 44.1kHz, and 48kHz. IF THE SIGNALS OF A DIFFERENT SAMPLING FREQUENCY COME INTO THIS UNIT, NOISE MAY OCCUR.
Hence, this is exactly what I get from my JBL N-24 (great speakers btw!) rear surrounds during DVD-A playback. I guess I was wondering if there are any receivers capable of properly processing the high-sampling rate (92kHz-192kHz) of DVD-A? I was also told that all of your speakers should be full-range to truly get the full DVD-A effect. What do they mean by this? I have a JVC 721BK, and was hoping to fully take advantage of all DVD-A has to offer. However, if current receivers can't handle the high sample rate, then this won't be likely (enjoying DVD-A to it's full potential) until they begin making receivers/amps to handle the high sample rate. I was Just curious if any of you had thoughts, insights, or recommendations.
Thanks,
Reg

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Reg,
You seem to be throwing a bunch of things out there that may or may not be related.
First off, many receivers can handle 96 and 192kHz sampling rates. Problem is that DVD-A players do not allow the digital signal out from the player. You can only get the six channel analog output at present (blame the paranoid record companies).
The quote you took from the manual means that you will get digital noise most likely if it does not correspond to those sampling rates or even possibly white noise.
I'm guessing why you get noise on your rear speakers is because you probably don't have your 6 channel analog outputs from the DVD-A hooked to your 6 channel analog inputs on your receiver since that's the only way you can listen to DVD-A's. I'm guessing that you only have the L/R analog outputs connected.
Having all speakers full range would be best for playback and since no DVD-A player to date has bass management you do need to have full range speakers to hear the entire frequency range.
I hope this helps,
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection
[Edited last by PatrickM on August 11, 2001 at 12:09 AM]
[Edited last by PatrickM on August 11, 2001 at 12:11 AM]

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks Patrick.
I do have everything properly connected to the analog out- puts. The noise is quite faint, and you can only hear it when you place your ear closely to the speaker (which of course, I don't usually do anyway!).
I appreciate your comments.
Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie, how do you have your DVD-Audio player connected to your receiver? I owned the JVC RX-778V receiver once (my first surround-sound receiver) and it has no 5.1-channel inputs, which are absolutely necessary to play surround-sound DVD-Audio discs at full resolution. If you have the DVD-Audio player connected via an optical or coaxial digital cable, the bitstream will be downsampled to 16-bit/48-kHz. This is done both as a result of concerns over piracy and because no external processors have MLP decoders. Anyway, I am not sure why you are getting noise from your surrounds, but if you are using a digital cable between your DVD-Audio player and receiver, you cannot be feeding the receiver a sampling frequency greater than 48 kHz. This could be a hardware issue; possibly some other problem with your receiver.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks Keith,
I have the 5.1 connections on the back of my JVC 721BK connected to the......I'm looking.....well, I think you are probably RIGHT! Anyway, to make a long story short, I now need recommendations for a good receiver to pick up this weekend. Please feel free to recommend a few. I was likely getting matrixed 5.1 sound from my speakers which would probably explain the noise. Unfortunately, I will be limited to $350.00. Thanks so much for your help!
Reg
P.S.- I am slowly overcoming J6P syndome.

Gerald Levin

Auditioning
Reggie-
Here is the simple solution that will make this question mean nothing to you.
Get the Lexicon MC-12 and some amps and you will have the DVD-A and SACD high resolution that you're looking for.
------------------
I love being Jewish! Especially on
Saturdays when I temple my butt
off and have a 3:00pm bagel with
cream cheese and chives!
Israel eat your heart out.

RicP

Screenwriter
Unfortunately, I will be limited to $350.00. Thanks so much for your help!
Now if you know where to get a Lex MC-12 and some amps for $350 can you please tell us??
Reggie...look into the Pioneer recievers. They have a few very good models in that price range that have 5.1 inputs AND analog direct bypass circuitry.
------------------
http://www.ricperrott.com
Ric Perrott

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks Ric.
I have also been looking into online prices for the Yamaha 5450 and 5460 which also have the necessary analog connections for DVD-A. They appear to be in the $280.00-$350.00 range. I may end up settling for one of these, but will DEFINITELY look in to Pioneers per your suggestion.
Thanks,
Reg
P.S.-If anyone knows where I can get these two Yamaha's the cheapest, please don't be shy and do let me know!

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I also had another thought....
Since there are no MLP decoders for DVD-A as of yet, this is obviously one of the reasons why the connections must be fed through the analog inputs. For some reason, I believe that receivers may include MLP decoders in a few years to give us the pure digital stream. This also means that we will all have to upgrade again (no surprise)in a few years. It's a shame that the music industry's paranoia over piracy is really halting progress, as I remember this excuse being used when nearly every other new format, audio or video, was introduced.
Reg

RicP

Screenwriter
Reggie,
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a digital out for DVD-A and/or SACD. We've seen what the RIAA can do to new formats (DAT anyone?).
The best bet is just to grab something now that will make you happy for awhile, and if by some miracle we get a digital standard for Hi-Res, it won't cost you too much to upgrade at that time.
DVD-Audio will sound fantastic direct into a Pioneer reciever though. Just switch to "External 5.1" and enjoy. Pioneer constantly amazes me with the quality of their entry-level stuff. :)
------------------
http://www.ricperrott.com
Ric Perrott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks