What's new

a 'separates' path? (1 Viewer)

Jeff.bart

Stunt Coordinator
With rapid improvement in digital technology and all the new standards, it seems like AVs are becoming more like PCs. Big improvement, lower prices. Now it looks like some well-branded companies are trying steal the thunder of the 'separates' producers, particularly at the lower end of that market. Witness the Pioneer Elite 49, Yammy Z and a few others.

To the vets here, I am wondering: have the separates producers matched the recent pace of technology development in the AV market and have prices fallen as sharply?

Maybe the separates market will always remain relatively small. Maybe manufacturers have to charge much more money, owing to the cost of the materials and to the need to generate a higher profit margin to compensate for lower volume.

But I wonder: could any of these companies try to penetrate the larger buying public with a stellar marketing campaign offering neatly combined packages (preamp, tuner, multichannel amp) at comparable prices with midtier AV receivers ($1000 to $2000 range).

Granted, there would be some risk involved, and it would require much higher economies of scale. Perhaps it would have to be undertaken by a brand-name manufacturer.

Or perhaps it's just not realistic, but hasn't anyone actually ever tried?

Jeff.bart

Stunt Coordinator
Since you mentioned it, Bill, I have seen the Outlaw ad for the upcoming Model 7100 7-100 watt standalone amplifier ($899). I guess if I combined that with the 950 preprocessor-tuner ($899), I'd have me self a $1800 duo of separates sufficient for my current needs and future expandibility. It sounds impressive and worth investigating. I wonder how it would stack up to a topline AV in a similar price range.

Martice

Screenwriter
To the vets here, I am wondering: have the separates producers matched the recent pace of technology development in the AV market and have prices fallen as sharply?
Nope and I doubt they will. Reason being is that any "separates" (high end)company that has made it's mark selling equipment that is dedicated to signal integrity and audio performance would have to charge a pretty penny to maintain the quality build, parts and superior design and also throw in the latest AV features. Some do have preamp/processors but they are really up there cost wise in comparison to the offerings in your friendly neighborhood high sale volume stores.

Also, most of those companies are much smaller than the consumer name brand companies like Yam, Denon and Sony so they probably wouldn't be able to keep up with the high demands and constant change in the consumer circles without compromising their commitment to a level of quality that has earned them their reputation in the first place.

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
I would agree with Martice. Most buyers of separates are looking for a certain quality level in sound and build that is just not available in mid priced receivers.

As to constant change, some makers of pre/pros are doing a first rate job in staying at the fore. Anthem is a good example, where the upgrade is available at minimal cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks