A Semi-Beginner Sub and Speaker Question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by BillSXT2002, Sep 13, 2006.

1. BillSXT2002

BillSXT2002 Extra

First of all hello, and I promise I did search for a long time before asking for input, so hopefully I won't sound too stupid. Basically, I know about audio in general, I have my own PA system that I set up for DJing and mixing bands, and I've done it for about 7-8 years now. This summer I revamped my whole PA system, and I love the way it works and sounds, but then I realized that I spent all my money on that and my home system sounds like trash. So, that means I'm working on a serious budget. Right now I have a pair of Bose 201's and a sony STR-DE475 receiver. I'm already set on selling the Bose.

I've been reading reviews and this forum, and have kind of decided on the Fluance AV-HSTB+ or whatever that package is called. I know it is "entry level" so to speak, but it gets good reviews for the price it seems. I was thinking of keeping the Sony for now, just becasue I already have it, but I would upgrade eventually. Then comes the sub. I was thinking about the Dayton one, but then someone is selling a klipsh ksw-12 for 150 on the for sale board.

Sorry this is so long, but what should I do? Remember, I'm on a tight budget.

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

If you're on a tight budget, but think you might be able to spend more down the road, you should consider starting with a decent pair of speakers and a sub.

3. BillSXT2002

BillSXT2002 Extra

I see what you mean, but I'll be out of school in less than two years and I'll upgrade then. For now, I'd just like a complete system if possible.

4. BillSXT2002

BillSXT2002 Extra

I am interested in a 5.1 system, but the Jamo really doesn't catch my eye, sorry. Thanks for the advice though.

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

You might consider the Athena Point 5 or Athena Micra6 packages. Otherwise, another sub you might consider is the Acoustech H100. It's probably the best sub out there that is below the $400 price point (it can be had for

6. BillSXT2002

BillSXT2002 Extra

Hmm... I'm liking the H100...

7. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

The H100 is a great sub. It's certainly not on par with the SVS PB10, but it's what I'm using until I can afford an SVS. It's gotten good reviews here and at AVS.

8. frogpond

frogpond Stunt Coordinator

Is it just me or does the Fluance wesite look like Theater Research and some of the other white van sites?! They certainly design some of their speakers with that same woofer on the side design like a lot of the white van companies seemingly do.