A Second Trip to the Showroom

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WayneG, Nov 30, 2002.

1. WayneG

WayneG Stunt Coordinator

Popped into 2001 to buy my parents a DVD player and peeked into the big screen showroom. Considering buying but will wait until after Christmas. Anyway, the 42 16x9 Samsung which had previously looked awful looked beautiful. It was the star of the room. It was the same HD signal as before. The guy said maybe it had been tweaked. It's priced at $2148 Canadian, with a free stand and 16 months of free HD from Rogers. It also has a 2-year warranty. It's very tempting.

I had narrowed it down to either the 43 Hitachi or 46 Sony. Now I'm confused. I guess the rule is don't judge a TV by what you see in the store in one visit.

2. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Dont judge by what you see in the store at all.

ideally if you could get them to let you run avia on a few tv's your interested in..... that would be better, but you never know what settigns the tv's are on.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

What John said!

Unless you can tweak the showroom sets with AVIA or are good enough at eyeballing them to adjust them yourself you'll never get an even halfway accurate idea of how it's gonna look in your own home. The variable quality of hookup cabling, signal splitting, etc. in the stores makes even this unreliable.

A year ago I bought what I thought looked best in the stores, got it delivered, hated it. After 2 weeks I swapped for a model that had consistently looked mediocre in the stores and love it.

Moral of my story:

Do the research, haunt the stores for weeks, agonize over your purchase decision, but always buy from a dealer with a good return/exchange policy.