A second Sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent_Sch, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Brent_Sch

Brent_Sch Stunt Coordinator

Would adding a second sub to my system be a good idea? I currently have a DLS 10" sub from Parts Express and the HTD Level TWO speakers but wonder if another sub would be worth while. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of a second "budget sub" if I added one. Perhaps JBL PB10 or PB12, a Sony SA-WM40, or an additional DLS. I don't know if it is going to be worth my time and money to purchase another but if you have any suggestions on any of the subs or other subs worth looking at please help me out!
    Thanks
    Brent [​IMG]

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Since you're talking about budget subs - I got my SVS and to experiment I brought my 10" Rat Shak sub to my buddy'splace, where he has an old Sony bandpass active woofer from a micro system. It's good for the 40 - 60Hz range.

I put the 2 right next to each other in the best spot, and CALIBRATED them flat at 75 relative to the mains, both on.

LOUD! Deep, too, deeper than I would give them credit for. I brought U-571 with me and we let 'er rip. We switched one out and then the other, calibrated to make up the diff, and we could pick out the differences between them. (Tone, quality, etc.) But together, it was a whole different animal. Fantastic bass, but a bit out of control. But considering what we had to work with... I felt a bit underwhelmed later listening to my deep and accurate SVS. Sometimes you just want to be the kid in the Jeep blasting the Beastie Boys.

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

That's not clear - - The SVS stayed at my house, and the displaced sub got paired with my pal's.

It was good fun, recommended!

4. Brent_Sch

What method did you use to hook up your subs together? I'm not sure how I would do it since I have the DLS that doesn't have the LFE Out. The other subs I may look into all have the LFE Out conection but the one I do currently have isn't LFE Out so I'm kind of confused how it could be done for me.

My receiver does have the Sub Out connection and that is being used to hook up the DLS to the Line In connection on the back.

Thanks

5. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

My buddy's into car audio, and between the two of us we had enough splitters (RCA) to string together to get RCA's from the Rec to both subs. We used 4 - 5 splitters to make a 3' rca cable. Sad, but it worked.

So you'd use a Y rca splitter from the rec.

Good fun on the cheap.

But, are 2 $150 subs better than 1 $300 sub? I almost think so.

They were TIGHT side by side next to the ent. ctr, between it and the left front speaker. "Live" room with hardwood floors, and smallish.

- CM

6. Brent_Sch

I'm still confused on the idea of hooking up two subs to one receiver. My system (currently only ONE sub) has an rca cable that plugs into the "sub out" option on the back of my Kenwood VR-505 and then it splits into two plugs and plugs into the sub via the L&R Line In options. Is this correct? It sounds best with them both plugged in at the sub but now the question is how would I add that second sub into the system?

If anybody has a good website where pictures of the cables I would need are please post them!

Thanks for any help!

7. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Yes, you have it plugged in correctly. Your sub should have an "out" jack (probably L & R) that allows you to "daisy chain" a second sub. So you connect the first sub to a second sub. I have the Sony Sa-wm40 and it allows that. I tried hooking up a second cheap sub and wow, the results were impressive. Two budget subs is definitely a reasonable shortcut to big bass if you cannot afford better subs. Too bad the wife won't let me have two subs at the moment.

Edit: if your sub doesn't have the out jack, buy one that does and use your current sub as the second.

8. Brent_Sch

Ahhh, makes total sense now! Thanks for the explanation! My DLS does have the Out option so I'll think about adding that second sub. Probably will find one that goes lower than the current 30Hz on the DLS.
    Off to go watch the USA v. RUS game now!
    Thanks for your guys' help again! [​IMG]