A sad DVD buying moment with Saint Elmo's Fire (Or why I feel old)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Silver, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Mark Silver

Mark Silver Stunt Coordinator

I posted this on another website, but I wanted reaction here too.

This falls as another in the long line of Best Buy horror stories. I was in the store looking for a copy of St. Elmo's Fire, because it was being released that day. (Mistake #1, never go to BB to find a catalog on release day). I couldn't find it in Comedy, Drama, or New Releases, so I asked an employee if it was in the back. ( Mistake #2, Don't ask an employee, if they haven't set up a pop up display with 1,000 copies they don't know anything.)

After explaining and spelling out the title, the guy looked at me like I was speaking another language. I mean he had never heard of the movie. He then says, and this is why I feel old at 26, "Is this a movie with that furry orange guy ?". I then said, no, thanks for your help, and left the store.

Am I way off the mark here, St. Elmo's Fire is a title most people should know right ?

2. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    Ofcourse most people should know it! One of the great guilty pleasures of all time. Especially fun after a few drinks.

This is why I avoid Busted Buy (except for things like POTA, JP3, PH, TPM, etc). I got it from DVD Empire for about $13.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

The vast majority of employees at my local BB are terrific folks, and would never treat me the way you got treated.
    However, I've had some doozies in my time, usually new folks.
    When they react like that, or if I just don't know them and hence don't trust them, I find it beneficial to walk them over to their in-store BESTBUY.COM unit, look up the title myself, and ask them "do you have this in stock"?
    You can find BB.COM's link to St. Elmo's Fire here, in case you want to print it out and try again! [​IMG]
    Or, just print out the cover picture and take it into any other store you choose to shop in. It helps avoid confusion, when they can see the way the title looks on the cover.
    As an alternative, you couldn've tried walking over to the CD section, find the soundtrack for that film, and show them that. They almost certainly have it, right?
    Just a suggestion. There's a lot of idiots working retail out there. We need to help each other every way we can!

4. TomF

TomF Stunt Coordinator

Hi Mark. Welcome to the Forum! I wouldn't be too surprised by it. I was around the same age as the stars of the film when it first came out, so I will never forget it. But the guy at Best Buy was probably still in diapers back then (and watching the furry orange Elmo on TV), so it's not likely to click with him like say American Pie. Actually, you were pretty young when St. Elmo's Fire came out...I'm sure a lot of fans of this film are feeling a lot older than you do [​IMG]

5. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

Mark-
    I'm 23. I've never seen this film. I have no desire to see this film. My friends have never seen this film, any of them. No one I know has ever seen this film, in fact no one I know has any desire to see this film. That could be because I'm 23, or it could be because the movie sucks? [​IMG] I dont know, but I wouldn't say that a punk kid not having seen this movie should be shocking, it's not like you asked where Gone with the wind was. and elmo is red people.

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I haven't even seen "Sesame Street" with this newfangled Elmo character!

7. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Mark - pick a movie your age group likes. Go ahead 10 years and try to find it. You're will run into the same scenario some day.

Enjoy being young - it goes away quicker than you'll ever know.

8. Jason Boucher

Jason Boucher Stunt Coordinator

I am in the same age group as St. Elmo's Fire aficionados (35). Let me tell you how I found out I was old. Our public school system has a student run radio station which plays 80's "oldies" at night. They announced a Quarterflash song as being by the group "Quarterfish." As if this wasn't bad enough, another DJ annouced Olivia Newton John's "Magic" as a song by John Newton. Now I officially know that I am over-the-hill.

9. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    It just reminds me how tunnel-visioned alot of movie fans are; is it too much to allow maybe a ten year periphery of awareness as one grows up?! These films aren't locked away. they're on tape, cable or wherever! [​IMG]

10. Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld Second Unit

Over the hill meter on 10 at the age of 31: "20th Anniversary Edition of ET: The Extra Terrestrial"

'Nuff said. I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

11. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

12. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

This reminds me of the time I went into Best Buy looking for a copy of the Gettysburg dvd. They didn't have any in stock, but they did have about eighty copies of Gone in Sixty Seconds on the shelves. I was going to ask an employee if they had any in stock but thought better of it: "Huh? What's Gettysburg? Never heard of it..." SLAP! "Excuse me sir, please don't slap our employees!"

13. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

I went to several retail stores a few weeks ago (including Best Buy) looking for The Remains of the Day. That movie was nominated for eight (yes, eight) Oscars less than eight years ago, and not a single one of the salespeople I talked to had ever heard of it. Now I'm not naive. I know that Merchant/Ivory productions don't exactly appeal to the pimply-faced teenagers working at BB. Still, it is a little frustrating that hardly anyone who works in the video department of a typical BB knows jack shit about movies.
    Oh, by the way, I am thirty-three, and St. Elmo's Fire was definitely one of the big films from my youth (along with The Breakfast Club). The very thought that some guy would think the movie was about the Sesame Street character does make me feel pretty old.
    [​IMG]

14. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

Speaking of feeling old...
    Has anyone seen the trailer for Not Anouther Teen Movie? It looks to be a typical lowbrow attempt to make a spoof of all the teen films that have come out in the last decade or so. NOT one I intend on seeing. However it had one minor bit to impress itself on my brain. Scene after scene of late 90's teen flick spoofs and gross out humour, followed by one brief spoof of The Breakfast Club, one of my favourite "Teen angst" films of my youth. (I am 30 BTW)
    I was impressed that the producers/writers were even old enough to clue into that one. Too bad it will fall flat due to "today’s kids" not getting it.
    I now retire to my deathbed to await the "inevitable", and allow you to return to your discussion. Please ignore the grandpa pants. [​IMG]
    Oh, after editing this 3x now, I miss the spell check abilities.

15. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I think you are seriously underestimating the impact of TNT! They play movies like the Breakfast Club as their bread and butter. I'll bet they know that one pretty well (as long as they tune to something other than MTV).

BTW, 26 and never have seen St Elmo's Fire.

16. Lane F.

Lane F. Stunt Coordinator

Damn, i'm 21 and I have seen this movie several times, in my opinion its a pretty good movie...

17. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

While I never seem Saint Elmo's Fire, I HAVE heard of it before and probably will see it someday. Anyways, I had a simlar bad experice at Best Buy and Boarders(the website for Boarders). When at Best Buy, I was wondering where they have Brazil the Criterion Edition so I ask a clerk who check the computer and say there wasn't a movie there. Even so they have the lame bare bone verison on the shelf. And when I place a hold on a copy of Brazil on their website listing for my local store(which had the CE there), I went to pick up a few days later and they had the box in the case, just like the other day(place the hold to get rid of my fear of it getting bought), anyways, I went to ask the clerk for the movie and they pull out the stupid bare bone verison, so I quickly rushed to get the one out of the case(asking first) and had to get it. Just why do they always mix up the movie with that stupid Unverisal release of it?

18. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

Man, I hear you and I feel your pain. [​IMG]

19. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

I don't understand what age has to do with enjoying film. One shouldn't limited him/her self.

That said, I'm 26 and I've seen St. Elmo's Fire (who could forget that song?). I've also seen Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club (Simple Minds rock), About Last Night, and countless others from around that time.

BTW,

What happened to the Spell Checker????

Dwayne

20. JaimelM

JaimelM Agent

St.Elmos Fire saw it in the movie theaters back in the day.

I bet if you ask that same Best Buy boy where Rambo: First Blood Pt.2 is at, he will know what the hell you're

asking. Rambo came out the same year as SEF but Rambo is a timeless and special well made film.

And will be known and liked ten years from now.