A SACD Bass Management Question....

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Matt Heebner, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner Stunt Coordinator

Jul 2, 2000
    I am running a Paradigm Studio 40's, Studio CC, Studio 20's set-up powered by a Rotel RMB-1075 with processing by a Sony DA4ES. The SACD player is a Sony 775.
    After reading alot here and other places regarding the loss of resolution when engaging the bass management of the SACD player, I though about just sending the music out in the DIRECT mode with no bass management at all. Is this a viable option ? Is there problems with doing this ? I do have a Velodyne CT-150 sub, but after listening to some SACD's in DIRECT mode, I am not really missing the sub...and it probably won't be a big deal especially if the Sony player is sending the bass to the sub 10db lower than the rest of the channels.
    Anyone with any input on this? I am currently saving for a ICBM from Outlaw...but it will be a while till that happens.

Any ideas, suggestions, comments ?

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Jun 5, 2000
    Rachael Bellomy
    Matt, I like the direct mode on Sony players too. I'd bypass the bass manager and think in terms of moving the 40's to the sides and get larger fronts, or 2 more 40's, maybe? Ultimately, that's the better upgrade for SACD/DVD-A's sake...although more expensive. I'm using Paradigm Monitor series speakers. 11's & 7's, direct mode.

If I couldn't do bigger speakers, I would go for the bass manager. That'll bring your sub back into play. I hate Sony's SACD bass management... Turning it off is absolutely a positive step. Best wishes!
  3. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Aug 27, 2000
    I used to have a 775 and I agree. I always ran the player in direct mode, it sounded better to me that way. I have floor standing speakers as surrounds and a modified center channel, so the lack of BM on sacd players is not an issue for me.

4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Jul 28, 1999
    I would recommend the ICBM from Outlaw,it's far more cheaper then replacing speakers[even with added cable expense],and it works in the analog domain,so it won't do any dubious digital conversion to redirect bass.