What's new

A Rocket and SVS Endorsement (1 Viewer)

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
I've been having some very real fun in my new HT lately that I wanted to share. I firmly believe that audio is the heart of the HT experience and is the most difficult part of the system to put together. I have no relationship with Onix or SVS other than that of a satisfied customer, so here goes!

About a week ago, I was FLOORED by xXx. I know, a mediocre movie at best, but the sound track on it is unbelievable!! Here's my post about it.

"Man, oh, man. I just came up from watching xXx at 0dB on the receiver. THAT was an experience!! Huge screen, brilliant image, 7 Rocket speakers all around. The SVS Ultra going full excursion with 1850 total watts pushing everything. WHOA!! Those Rockets put EVERYTHING in my lap with total clarity, no matter WHAT was happening!! Not a hint of strain or dropping a detail even when the bombs were bursting. This is with all 3 fronts set to "large"! Bigfoot delivered the center so clearly, did not miss one bit of Diesels brilliant dialog :D . After this A/V assault on my senses, no ear fatigue.

I don't think it gets much better. Those beautiful speakers were meant for this!! The Zander Zone. "

Two nights ago, the lightning struck again (literally!):

"I just had another Extreme Experience with my HT last night. "We Were Soldiers" I'm not an emotional guy, but it had me gripped to the point I'm glad no one could see my face. The Rockets (with SVS Ultra) put me into the MIDDLE of the battle!! Much better than ANY theater I've ever been in.

We had a major thunderstorm with a close lightning hit during the movie, but I didn't know it. :)

My daughter reported 7 books and a rose knocked off her bookshelves too..... " :D

If you don't want to take MY word on it (Heck, I wouldn't;)), check this out! The soundtrack on We Were Soldiers is probably the best I've ever heard (so far), and the gentleman who mixed it had reviewed the Rockets thusly:

(From the Re Recording Mixer / Editor of We Were Soldiers):

"As a re-recording mixer on over 45 films, I was looking for a superior speaker for my home theater. I have found it in the Rockets. Superior in build quality, superior in sound quality and superior in value. Having looked at many speakers 2 to 3 times their cost, I have found nothing that compares. They reproduce the subtle, and not so subtle, sounds that I am intimately familiar with effortlessly and without fatigue. From the large battles in "We Were Soldiers," to the small legal skirmishes of "Legally Blonde," the Rockets are always faithful in their reproduction. I have never owned a speaker that is as pleasurable to listen to as this. At any cost, they are a great bargain... at these prices, they are a steal."

Marc Fishman, re-recording mixer, Todd-AO Studios Hollywood.

Yeah, what he said!!

So, this is addressed to those who were wondering about Rockets and SVS, as I was. I could not audition them anywhere withing a 3 hr drive and had to buy sight-unseen on the strength of the comments I've seen posted here and over at AVS. I'm glad I did and if anyone within driving distance of Lancaster PA wants to hear them, c'mon down!

Gordon

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Gordon,

Wow! You've got a alot to be really proud of. I think that your use of the technology that we have today to make HT available and DIY friendly is well showcased in your finished product. You did things that just a few years ago were trade secrets of the pros and put together a well balanced livable system with many viewing and listening options.

Your before photo is all too familiar to many of us, and only the motivation from having the internet forums available, allow us to conceive what we can do if we get off our duffs and apply what we learn to our dreams.

Well done. Enjoy!

Dennis

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Thanks Dennis! You made me smile :)

You hit it right on the head that we, with the help of others on these forums, can obtain results that equal (or even exceed) those of professionals. For a fraction of the cost!

I feel a deep sense of gratitude to those who helped me along the way, starting with Neil here on this Forum who suggested I look at FP when I first posted here. In December, I did not even know what "HT" stood for!! :b

I am also amazed at the VALUE and SERVICE I obtained from the two Internet-only manufacturers that provided my speakers (Onix and SVS). My main purpose of the post was to encourage those who might be reluctant to order from them sight-unseen, as I did and to share the joy of something that really works just as good - and better! than I had hoped.

Gordon

Daniel T.

Agent
I've only heard good stuff about the rockets. Saw a review that put em up against a beefy set of Paradigms and the Rockets stole the show. The only "lack" in comparison was the Para's had a touch more/better mid to mid low response. Friend of mine is in love with em, he's got good taste too, so I figure they must be as advertised. Pretty too, great fit and finish.

Mitch E S

Stunt Coordinator
Gordon,
WHAT!!! Only one Ultra??? Real nice job with the room though :)

Mitch (in Bucks County)

I'd like to hear the Rockets some time.

Ed Werner

Stunt Coordinator
Beautiful job Gordon. Very nice setup! I am also so very happy with my new system. I have put it all together in a total of four months, that is, from beginning with a TXSR600, then upgrading to what I have now, the Integra DTR 8.2 and a very nice polk 5.1 system. I need to buy a digicam so I can share all of this with you all here in the forum since you have helped with my choices, even though I didn't ask directly. I have so much more to do, but wow it sounds great allready. Sound is most of the HT experience, but the great picture doesn't hurt either huh? ;)

Again, great job!

Ed

*edit* PS If any of you guys in Pennsylvania or surrounding areas want to come check out my system you are more than welcome too, just remember it is a work in progress! I am in Pittsburgh.

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Thanks guys! It's forums like this that make it all possible. Muchas Gracias!!

Mitch observed: WHAT!!! Only one Ultra???
:) :)

That one Ultra does a great job filling the room (and the rest of the house :) ) with great, clean bass. More than enough for 99% of our needs. But.... It's funny you say this as I've been toying with the idea of a pair of stacked Ultras (ala HornEd in the Klipsch forum)for when I put on a flick like We Were Soldiers and the women-folk are out of the house. :D

That will have to be down the road a bit. I think Sweet Nancy would revolt if another one of those beasts showed up. ;)

Hey, Bucks county isn't THAT far away! Anyone who wants to drop by sometime to play, drop me a line.

Gordon

Lynn Little

Stunt Coordinator
"It's funny you say this as I've been toying with the idea of a pair of stacked Ultras (ala HornEd in the Klipsch forum)for when I put on a flick like We Were Soldiers and the women-folk are out of the house."

First off, great web site you have for your HT! Nice HT, too!

Anyway, I've never heard of anybody stacking SV cylinder subs. Could you provide a link or something regarding this? I have twin 16-46PC+s I might want to try stacking...

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Anyway, I've never heard of anybody stacking SV cylinder subs. Could you provide a link or something regarding this? I have twin 16-46PC+s I might want to try stacking...
Hi Lynn! I saw reference to HornEd's stacked Ultra's in the Klipsch Forum . I don't have a thread location handy, but if you look around, you may find it.

The advantages, as I unerstand them, are that the waves stay in phase so the sound is more coherent and of course, less real estate is taken up. HornEd has pictures somewhere of his stacked pair. I am also sure that the SVS folks can help with how to do this as HornEd mentioned that he consulted with them for his setup.

Gordon

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Gordon

Very nice, and that wood grain so yummy!

Allot of work put in their and you should be very proud! So glad your enjoying the fruits of your labor and frustration, I mean love. Some of that frustration involved too, I would magine.
======>
How big is the room and is it open anywhere, or just a door to enter????
======>

Hard to tell exactly from your pic's. You mentioned the rest of the house, you may have been speaking to the bass finding it's way out and up....;)

======>
Do you have now, or have you considered a large throw rug out front to help with sound & absorbition?

Allot of hard surfaces in their.
======>

From your pic's, unless the room is open, I'd speculate your having no problem in the bass department, but more never hurts..:D

Again, very sweet theater and can only imagine the enjoyment it's bringing now and will continue to bring you!!!!!

Regards
Geoff

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Hi Geoff! Thanks!

The room is about 11.5' x 19.5' x 7.3' high. I put a sound-proofing (solid center) door in the previously open doorway to the stairs, so I am able to close it off to a rectangle.

You're right. I really DO have enough sub for the room. I can get well over 106 db on .lfe no problem. It's just on some infrasonic (under 10hz) bass, that I can over-extend the Ultra when I am running it in "overkill" mode :). I do NOT want any more general "rumbling" lfe.

Yes, we even went out an bought a rug for the area. We like the open hdw. flooring so much that we haven't used it yet. There are indeed a lot of hard surfaces and I need to play with some sound absorptive surface to see what difference it makes.

Thanks for the feedback, Geoff!

Gordon

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
You certainly very welcome Gordon!
Your hard work deserves it.....

And that limiting fast bass problem, well a quick call will take care of that as you know!!:D

Enjoy
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks