A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT and LEGENDS OF THE FALL Deluxe Editions - New Transfers??

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Lance_G, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Lance_G

Lance_G Extra

This week new Deluxe Editions of A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT and LEGENDS OF THE FALL were released. Are the transfers the same as previous release? or newly mastered? One review site indicates that these are "new digital HD remastering".

Can anyone out there confirm?

Thanks.

2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
  3. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

umm, I'm confused by that link in context to the new transfer question... Dvd-18...?

4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    fixed.

5. Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan Supporting Actor

The new transfers are worth the upgrade if you are a fan of these films. They come in a side-entry slipcase with a scrapbook and Legends of the Fall also has commentary and deleted scenes, among other features. I dunno if those are on the old release, as well, but the transfers and sound on both films are improvements - especially on A River Runs Through It.

6. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

Is the new Legends of the Fall any better than the Superbit or just the previous version?

7. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

Elijah, if you don't know if those features are on the previous releases (for what it's worth, at least for LEGENDS--I never own RIVER--they are) how can you compare the video? If Columbia is staying true to their repackaging precedent (SCHOOL DAZE, BIG FISH, STAND BY ME, et al) then the transfers on the Deluxe Editions will be IDENTICAL to the prior Special Edition transfers.

8. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

There's basically nothing on A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT at all -- and the special features on LEGENDS are exactly the same as the previous release.

Unfortunately I can't compare the video either, but it seems to me these are repackagings with the scrapbook (at least in the case of LEGENDS), and if they did anything to RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT, it's the transfer only because the disc is barebones basically otherwise.

9. Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan Supporting Actor

I haven't seen the Legends SuperBit (didn't know there was one, to tell the truth) but I got whatever previous disc was availible from NetFlix once and it didn't wow me. Neither did the new transfer, but it certainly wasn't as bad as I remember. Maybe I saw some crappy old disc.

10. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I believe the Legends SB can still be had for 9.99 at Best Buy.

11. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul

One of my few problems with Netflix is that there's no guarantee regarding which version of a title with multiple releases they're going to send you. The artwork they display--often both covers depending on what page you're looking at for a 2-disc release, supps or movie--isn't a sure fire indication.

I'm very interested in the isolated Horner score and am very surprised that it purportedly got ported over to the Deluxe from the SE. This is a rare feature that will probably not be repeated on high def media due to composer royalty and record company issues with allegedly cannibalized CD sales.

I'm thrown by the term "Highlights" though: can someone who's listened to the track confirm that it is indeed the entire film's score track isolated for the whole running time of the film please? Is it interspersed with comments by Horner?

12. Brett_M

Brett_M Screenwriter

Brett Meyer
    I did a side by side comparison of Legends of the Fall and the Deluxe Edition is a cleaner, crisper, more vibrant remaster. I double dipped and was very pleased with it. If you own the SE and don't care about the remaster, keep the old one and be happy.

13. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Again, re the LOtF score track: I surmise, since the s'track is also on Sony, that Horner's got enough Titanic loot to not kvetch about the track's alleged impact on CD sales and composer royalties. I think this is the first time I've seen an iso score track jump from an early DVD release to a later SE/Director's Cut/Deluxe.

Got a speedy reply to an e-mail sent to the writer of the DVD Talk review:

"[The "Isolated Score Highlights"] . . . are a selection of clips from the movie (10, if memory serves) that play with a music-only soundtrack (no dialogue). It's not the entire film - just selected bits. There's no commentary from James Horner. This is identical to the same feature that was on the . . . [Special Edition] DVD release of LEGENDS . . ."

14. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

Yeah, I had to really eat my words with this one--with apologies to all; I double-dipped and it is in fact an entirely different, improved transfer. Rare for a Columbia upgrade, but true.